Quick Guide for Reinstalling an eDirectory Tree
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By Pekka Kuronen
Digg This -
Posted: 21 Feb 2007
We need a quick, step-by-step guide to erase and reinstall an eDirectory tree without (re)installing any software.
This solution can be used to quickly reformat your eDirectory tree in case of accidents or reinstalls.
1. Back up your important data, such as users, groups, and IDM driver sets. IDM driver sets can be easily backed up with Designer; just remember to use iManager with the User application. Users and groups can be backed up with ICE or ldapsearch.
2. Erase all data by deleting the tree, issuing the following command-line command in the Linux shell:
ndsconfig rm -a <admin.organization>
3. Create the tree again by issuing the following command in the Linux shell:
ndsconfig new -t <TREENAME> -n o=<organization> -a cn=<admin.o=organization>
4. Restart Tomcat by issuing the following command in the Linux shell:
5. If you want to install role-based services to any other container than the organization root, use an LDAP browser to log on to eDirectory and create the necessary organizational containers (o=system,ou=services, for example).
6. Log in to iManager and go to Configure > RBS Configuration.
7. Update the schema to the role-based services from the link visible in the page.
8. From the same page, go to RBS Configuration > New > Collection > Setup. As the scope, use the tree root if you created another organization or organizational unit in step 5; otherwise the organization will be sufficient.
9. If you are using Identity manager, you need to extend the schema by issuing the following command in the Linux shell (check that the path to schema file exists):
ndssch -t <TREENAME> <admin.organization> /opt/novell/eDirectory/lib/nds-schema/vrschema.sch
10. Configure NMAS by issuing the following command in the Linux shell (see /etc/opt/novell/eDirectory/conf/hosts.nds if you are unsure of the IP address):
nmasinst -i <admin.organization> <TREENAME> -h <host ip address>
11. Restore your IDM driver set with Designer or iManager.
12. Restore users and groups with ICE or ldapmodify.
- eDirectory 8.8
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com