GroupWise Migration Tips
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By Scott Kunau
Digg This -
Posted: 20 Mar 2007
A Forum reader recently asked:
"We are migrating/updating our current GroupWise setup, and I want to run through my process to make sure I've thought everything through and am doing things in the best order. I have been flip-flopping over whether to do the GroupWise upgrade first and then the migration, or do the migration first and then the GroupWise upgrade."
And here's the response from Scott Kunau ...
Here is what I would do:
1. Use TOOLBOX.NLM to copy the domain(s) and post office(s) directories over to the newly built NetWare 6.5SP6. I assume you are putting the new server into your same tree (it doesn't matter if you are).
2. Install GroupWise 6.5.4 (or SP6 the latest SP) on the new server after the copy process is done.
3. Change the IP addresses and database paths.
4. Rebuild the domain and PO databases, and then launch the agents (MTA/POA).
5. If all comes up fine, shut the agents down and install GWIA and WebAccess.
6. Again, verify that all comes up and works OK.
7. Take everything down and upgrade to GroupWise 7.0.1 IR1. Create a new SDD so your users don't get prompted to install the update software.
8. Update the clients at your leisure (because you didn't copy the version 7 stuff over the 6.5.x SDD).
I do this all the time for clients, and it works very well. Depending upon how much PO data exists, I can usually get the job done in just a few hours. I've even done this work remotely in the past. The only downtime will be when the PO and domain data is actually being copied between the two servers.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com