Mass Import of Users
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By Scott Owen
Digg This -
Posted: 16 May 2007
Automating the mass import of users. I got tired of adding 1-2-3 users at a time as kids move into the district. The teachers were getting frustrated in the time that it took (sometimes) for me to get around to entering new students. So I tried to figure out a way to automate the task. I realized I could have our data import file (in .csv format) created on our AS400, then FTP that file down to a station for importing. I can have that done two or three times a day, if necessary.
The EMUScript.AHK script (in .zip format) automatically imports users into NDS using the information from the EMU sample 100_user.csv file. You can change/edit the import file name/location and select a specific location (O=, OU=) to import users into. This script can be made into a standalone executable and then set up to run as a scheduled task on a dedicated machine.
- EMU - from Omni-TS (http://www.omni-ts.com/) - NOT FREE
- AutoHotKey - from autohotkey.com (http://autohotkey.com/) - FREE
- Bmail.exe - from BeyondLogic (http://www.beyondlogic.org/solutions/cmdlinemail/cmdlinemail.htm) - FREE
- EMUScript.AHK - the main script file, included - FREE
- Windows Workstation Logged into NDS with user create rights
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com