Restoring Single Address Books and Calendars
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By Danita Zanre
Digg This -
Posted: 26 Jun 2007
A Forum reader recently asked:
"I have a user who has deleted a personal address book and would like it recovered. However, I can't seem to figure out if this can be done."
And here's the response from Danita Zanre ...
Restoring a Single User's Address Book or Calendar
Although this seems complicated, it is actually less trouble than other possibilities. Here goes:
1. Create a new directory for your dummy "post office".
2. Copy the wphost.db, ngwguard.db and ngwguard.dc files from the real post office into this directory.
3. Copy the OFVIEWS directory from your real post office into this directory.
4. Create an OFUSER directory under this dummy post office.
5. Restore the userxxx.db file for the user in question into this new DUMMYPO\OFUSER directory.
6. At the console prompt for your server, load the following:
LOAD GWPOA /home-vol1:DUMMYPO /port=1678
Of course, "DUMMYPO" is just an example here - use whatever you have created. This will load a new instance of a POA for this dummy post office that you can attach to as the user in question.
7. Run the GroupWise Login. Put in the UserID for the user in question, and change the port number to 1678 - you should now access the user's database as of the date of the backup.
To restore the address book:
1. Go into the Address Book and choose the Address tab that you need to restore.
2. Under File, choose Export.
3. Specify that you want to export the entire address book.
4. Select a file name and location and export.
5. Exit GroupWise.
6. Log back into GroupWise at port 1677 (your regular post office).
7. Go into the Address Book and choose the address tab that you need to restore.
8. Under File choose Import and select the file you created. This will import the address book back in.
To restore a calendar:
1. Do a Find (not Find by Example) and select Item Types of Appointment, Note, Task.
2. Select all of these items and under Actions, choose Archive.
3. Exit GroupWise.
4. Log back into GroupWise at port 1677 (your regular post office).
5. Under File choose Open Archive.
6. Do a Find (not Find by Example) and select Types of Appointment, Note, Task.
7. Select all of the items you wish to bring back.
8. Under Actions, uncheck Archive.
Remember to unload the dummy POA when you are finished.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com