(Error 898) NetWare Administrator Error Accessing Server Objects from Windows Client
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By Shashikala BV
Digg This -
Posted: 24 Sep 2007
This article is intended for Administrators / Users of NetWare.
(error 898) NetWare Administrator error while accessing the server objects from a Windows client.
There is a NetWare 5.x / 6.x server with a NSS volume. To access this from the Windows client, there are two methods:
Make sure the Novell Client for Windows is installed on the Windows client machine.
- Right click on the N icon on the status bar and select Novell map network drive. Enter the server path e.g: x.x.x.x or <hostname of ther server>/<volume name> in Enter the network path to the resource tab and if needed username can be entered in Enter your network username tab. Then click on Map. Once the mapping gets successful, you will be able to see the files under the volume and you can perform you operations.
- Right click on the N icon on the status bar and select Novell map network drive. Enter the server path e.g: x.x.x.x or <hostname of ther server>/sys: (note that this time you are entering sys in place of volume name) in Enter the network path to the resource tab and if needed username can be entered in Enter your network username tab. Then click on Map.
Once the sys volume gets mapped on the Windows machine, click on PUBLIC -> WIN32 -> and select NWadmin32.exe. You will be able to see the NetWare Administrator screen now. Now click on select a new browser icon as given in the following image.
The moment you click you will see the following screen.
In the set context screen, enter the Tree and Context information and select OK.
Now you will see the NetWare Administrator screen.
Select the server object with NSS volume.
In the above image, I have selected the NSS volume object of server systst-ts-182. Soon after the selection the error pops up.
The reasons could be:
- Server would have disconnected.
- Server would have rebooted.
- Network down.
To resolve the first 2 issues, physically check the server status. Make sure the server is up and running. Now try to access the server object of NSS volume, it will show the contents of it. If it still doesn't show, then from your windows client, right click on Novell client i.e. N and select Novell Connections. You will see the following screen.
Select the tree and then select Detach followed by Refresh. If the server object still exists, select the same and then Detach followed by Refresh. Now repeat step 2. This time you should be able to see the contents of NSS volume.
- NetWare servers. Versions can be 5.x or 6.x
- Windows client machine installed with Novell Client to access netware machins through Novell Map Network Drive.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com