Getting URL's in Text Emails to Work Correctly with Firefox
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By Chad Smith
Digg This -
Posted: 13 Nov 2007
ProblemHere are the steps to reproduce the problem:
1) Open Groupwise and click new message. Put your own name in the To: field.
2) Click View and ensure that "Plain Text" is selected.
3) Type a URL (not the same URL as your home page).
4) Send an email.
5) Open the email and click the link.
If Firefox is not running, it will open with the URL from the email. But if Firefox is open, a new window will appear displaying your default home page.
The following solution seems to fix the issue:
1. Open Windows Explorer (or My Computer).
2. Go to Tools > Folder Options > File Types.
3. Select Extension: "(NONE)" File Type: "URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol"
4. Click "Advanced". In the "Edit File Type" window, select Open and click Edit.
5. Uncheck "Use DDE" (the dialog should then hide the lower part).
6. Click OK for that dialog and the next one (afterwards, the "Use DDE" box is still checked, but the "DDE Message" box will be cleared).
7. Repeat for Extension: "(NONE)" File Type: "URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy" (and any other protocols you want to fix)
8. Repeat for Extension: "(NONE)" File Type: "Firefox URL"
9. Repeat for Extension: "HTM" (or "HTML") File Type: "Firefox Document"
- Groupwise 7.0.2 HP (7/10.2007) - Build 562
- Firefox 126.96.36.199 or Firefox 188.8.131.52
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com