Enabling and Viewing the Mail Server Log File
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
Digg This -
Posted: 20 Apr 2001
Version: iChain 1.5
We've had some inquiries about how to enable logging for the mail server. Here's what you do:
- Access the URL of the ICS server on which you installed the iChain upgrades to launch the ICS browser-based adminstration tool.
For example, http://xx.xx.xx.xx:1959/appliance/config.html
where xx.xx.xx.xx is the IP address.
- Click Cache > Web Server Accelerator > Modify.
- Select Mail Server.
- Check the Enable Indexed Format Logging check box.
Mail Server Log File
Here is what you can find in the mail server log file:
- Keyword---MAIL. If the Combine Log Files option was selected, the keyword is at the beginning of each mail proxy audit log line.
- Source IP address.
- Destination IP address.
- User---Typeless NDS? name or IP address of user.
- Protocol---Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) or Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3).
- Status of the SMTP or POP3 request, such as Success, ACL check failure, Spool creation error, Failed connection, Spool size limitation, Protocol and transport failure, and Resource allocation failure.
- Command---SMTP or POP3 command used.
- Source domain---Domain Name System (DNS) domain name (for SMTP use only).
- Recipients---First 256 bytes of a comma-separated list in user@domain format (for SMTP use only).
- Process step---Examples of process steps, include Incoming, Spool processing, and Forwarding (for SMTP use only).
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com