Copying HOSTS file to NT Workstations
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
Digg This -
Posted: 12 Apr 2001
Current Version: ZENworks for Desktops 3
Here's how to configure NAL to push out a force run, run once application that will copy a pre-placed HOSTS file from the server's PUBLIC directory to the NT workstation's C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC directory.
- Copy a HOSTS file that includes the desired "<IP ADDRESS OF SERVER> zenwsimport" line to the SYS:PUBLIC directory of the ZFD3 server.
- Create an application object in ConsoleOne that is "install only, no executable needed".
- Under Distribution Options > Application Files, click the Add button and place the UNC path to the <SERVER NAME>\SYS\PUBLIC\HOSTS file in the Source dialog box and C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\hosts in the Target dialog box and save the changes.
- Make sure the Association is made to the desired users and that the system requirements tab is filled out to include the NT operating system.
- Set the application to Force Run under the Associations tab.
- Check the box to Run Application Once under the Run Options > Application tab so it will run only one time.
For more information see TID 10061067
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com