Create Printers Folder Shortcut without Explorer
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By Scott Barcroft
Digg This -
Posted: 18 Apr 2001
Current Version: ZENworks for Desktops 3
I was reading the Main Vault and the Q&A Vault trying to figure out a way to give access to the Printers folder with NAL as the shell, and was noticing that everyone said it couldn't be done without running Explorer. So, I thought I'd let you in on a solution.
If you are using NAL as the shell instead of Explorer, there IS a way to create a shortcut to the Printers folder without running Explorer.
- Open My Computer and drag the Printers folder to the desktop.
- Windows will prompt you to create a shortcut.
- Say Yes.
- Then, rename the shortcut (if you want) to just say Printers (instead of Shortcut to Printers).
- Copy this to a public directory on your server.
- Create an Application and add these two components:
- First, on the Identification tab, point the application to AppLoad.exe, (available here on the Downloadables page).
- Second, on the Environment tab, paste the location of the shortcut in the command line parameters (f:\updates\printers.lnk). (Assign any other criteria you want (icons, assoc.), but these are the two important parts.)
If you have any questions you may contact Scott at SBarcroft@surepower.com
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com