Silent Install for iPrint Client
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By Adam Reno
Digg This -
Posted: 28 Jan 2003
For all those who dreamed of a way to get the iPrint client to silent install, this is for you!
All you have to do is find your Nipp.exe file, extract with winzip, record setup.iss file, and run setup.exe with the -s switch.
Here's exactly how to do it:
- Open WinZip (or similar program) and select open archive, and select Nipp.exe (usually found in \\servername\login\ippdocs\)
- WinZip will open, and you will see nine files there. Extract these files to c:\iprint\ on your computer. (You may have to create the folder first.)
- Close WinZip, and open a command Prompt (cmd or command from "run" on the Start menu).
- Once the familiar black box appears, navigate to c:\iprint\.
- Now run setup.exe -r. This will launch the iPrint client setup and create a response file in the Windows directory.
- Follow the prompts of the iPrint Client Install.
- Reboot (if you selected reboot).
- Now, all there is left to do is find the setup.iss file located in the Windows directory and put it in c:\iprint\ (where the files you extracted from nipp.exe are located). So, find it and copy it there.
- You can now test the install by running setup.exe -s from the c:\iprint\ directory. The silent install is REALLY silent -- there are no visual prompts to let you know that you installed it, so you can make sure it ran correctly by either
1) Looking on the Start menu for Novell iPrint or
2) Trying to install an IPP Printer.
- Now you can push it out with the NAL if you'd like. Just copy the iPrint directory from your computer to the server and create a NAL app to call setup.exe with the -s parameter.
If you have any questions you may contact Adam at firstname.lastname@example.org
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com