Migrating ZENworks For Servers and GroupWise with the Migration Wizard
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By Glen Davis
Digg This -
Posted: 23 Apr 2004
Using the Migration Wizard 6.5 or 7.1 to migrate a server from an old piece of hardware to a new piece of hardware requires the reinstallation\reconfiguration of products after the migration has been completed. Here are some steps to help get ZENworks for Servers and GroupWise running on the new server after the migration. I realize many will have different environments and configurations but hopefully this can help with the basic procedure of what to do to get these applications running after the migration.
In this particular example a NW5.1 server was being migrated to NW6.0. This was tested with a 5.1 server running GroupWise 6 with all the agents, MTA, etc., running on the same source server, migrating to a NetWare 6 server.
- Close all running GroupWise processes on the source server, before starting the migration.
- Run the migration as normal, making sure to backup the entire SYS volume when prompted during Volume Copy stage. This will make sure we get the GroupWise files from the source copied to sys:sys.mig\system on the destination.
- After the migration is complete, copy the following from Sys:sys.mig\system\ to Sys:system:
- Now launch GroupWise on the new NW6 server.
Note: If running GroupWise Web Access, the Web Access piece will need to be reinstalled.
This was tested migrating a server to NW6.5.
- Stop ZENworks database before starting the migration.
- Drag and drop sys:zenworks from source to destination (to Sys:zenworks)in the Migration Wizard. Drag and drop other data as necessary and then complete the file copy portion of the migration.
- Edit Configuration files (step 2 of the migration). On destination edit Autoexec.ncf and add ZFS.ncf
- Edit destination server's Hosts, Hostname, and Autoexec.ncf - make sure Ipaddress, Servername and DNS name on destination will change to that of the source.
- Copy sys:system\mgmtdbs.ncf to sys:system (if system is dropped in sys.mig, it can be copied from sys.mig to sys:system after the migration).
- After the migration has completed all four steps then run ZFSMIG.nlm.
If you have any questions you may contact Glen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com