Creating Random Passwords for Multiple Users
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
Digg This -
Posted: 16 Jan 2002
If you've ever had to set up large groups of users you know it's the little things that take all the time. Assigning temporary passwords, for example. Here's a tip that will help you "quickly" set multiple, unique passwords. Heck, we'll even tell you how to automatically e-mail the new account information to your users.Here are the step-by-steps:
- Launch NetWare remote manager by launching Internet Explorer version 5.5 or higher and going to http://your server IP address: 8008. (for example http://184.108.40.206:8008)
- In the window on the left, scroll down to the Manage eDirectory section, and click on NFAP Security.
- To create randomly generated passwords for all users in a container, enter the name of the container where the users reside in the NDS Context box. Leave the user supplied password box blank, and click Start.
- A list of users and their new randomly generated simple passwords will be displayed.
- You can also click the box to have the new simple password e-mailed to the user.
In addition, there is a section in the online documentation on creating simple passwords at http://www.novell.com/documentation/lg/nw6p/index.html. Click on Novell Native File Access in the Managing Network Communication section, then click on Assigning Simple Passwords, and finally on Using NetWare Remote Manager to Create Simple Passwords.
For detailed information about this tip, and for updates, please see: TID-10067532.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com