Installing NAM 2.1 for W2K and eDirectory 8.6.2
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By Oscar Caballero
Digg This -
Posted: 11 Jul 2002
Oscar Caballero, a Technology Account Manager working for Novell Mexico, recently rolled up his sleeves and did some serious installation of Novell Account Manager and eDirectory 8.6.2 into a Windows 2000 environment. Here's what he learned:
First of all, please note that using TID 10069401 for this kind of implementation is a really good idea; I will base my comments on using this TID and my experiences with the installation of Novell Account Management 2.1 Windows 2000 Support on eDirectory 8.6.x environments.
The installation environment was Windows 2000 Server with Service Pack 2 where I installed eDirectory 8.6.1, and upgraded later to 8.6.2. With all that software up and running, I started my NAM 2.1 installation. Problems began with the synchronization installation wizard in the Windows 2000 domain, just after the DirXML engine and drivers were installed. The main issue was mainly related with the schema extensions portion of the DirXML 1.0 engine installation, as the wizard could not create the DriverSet DirXML object or the DirXML AD Driver objects (regarding a DirLINK.exe error about creating the DriverSet object).
There are a couple of workarounds, like installing first the DirXML 1.1 engine to correctly extend the schema, and then running the synchronization wizard. That worked for me too... However, the real solution to this is described in TID 10069401, and basically consists of the following:
- Be sure that you apply all possible and minimum patches available for Windows 2000.
- Download and install eDirectory 8.6.2 for Windows NT/2000 from download.novell.com (be sure to install the correct versions of Novell Client for Windows during the eDirectory installation process - it is also recommended for some issues with Password Synchronization services that you apply the latest patches available for Novell Clients, which could be found at support.novell.com)
- Install ConsoleOne 1.3.3 with all snapins when installing eDirectory 8.6.2.
- Download NICI 1.5.7 and 2.4.0 for Windows 2000 from href="http://download.novell.com/filedist/PublicSearch">download.novell.com. Apply them after installation of eDirectory has completed, using the following procedure:
- Download DXNTP1.EXE, the schema patch for DirXML 1.0 installation over non-eDirectory 8.5.x environments. This patch is the real trick for this installation to be successful and can be found in the support.novell.com Web site. It extends eDirectory schema before any installation of NAM software, using the following steps:
- Install Account Management 2.1 for 2000/NT using the Account Management SP1 overlay patch AMW2KSP1.EXE, which is found at the support.novell.com Web site.
4.1. Stop NDS service (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - Double click NDS Server, and click STOP).
4.2. Run WCNICIU0.EXE from NICI 1.5.7 package FIRST!
4.3. Reboot the server.
4.4. After server has rebooted, repeat steps 4.1 to 4.3 for WCNICIU0.EXE from NICI 2.4.0 package.
5.1. Start - Control Panel - NDS Services - Highlight the INSTALL.DLM - Click Start.
5.2. Choose "Install additional schema files." - Click Next - Authenticate as Admin, or one having rights to extend schema.
5.3. Browse to the file VRSCHEMA.SCH, which is in the DIRXML\SCHEMA folder of the extracted dxntp1.exe patch - Click Finish.
6.1. Take the original Account Management for Windows 2000 CD and copy it to a hard drive temp folder.
6.2. Extract or UNZIP NAMUPD.ZIP (inside the previously downloaded AMW2KSP1.EXE file) to the root where the Account Management CD was copied. When prompted, choose to overwrite existing files. 6.3. Execute SETUP.EXE to begin the patched Novell Account Management 2.1 install, as you would do normally.
Follow the on screen instructions to install NAM 2.1 for Windows 2000. The installation process should complete with no errors. After configuring Password Synchronization services and rebooting the Windows server, don't forget to log in to eDirectory at the Start Novell Client prompt, for Password Synchronization services to end installing. You should then see a message stating that Password Synchronization services were successfully installed on your system. Use ConsoleOne to verify the AD Driver is running in AUTOMATIC Start mode by going into DriverSet object properties, and selecting the Drivers tab. Test to ensure NAM is running correctly (don't forget including all Create Rule criteria attributes for objects to be created in the other directory!)
After the reboot of the server, launch NDS Services applet from the Control Panel and make sure that dirxml.dlm is in the list. If it is not, browse to the directory where NDS is installed (usually C:\Novell\NDS). The dirxml.dlm and dirxmllib.dll files will be in the directory, but the file names will be all UPPERCASE. Rename both files to the identical names but in lowercase. Shutdown the NDS Server from the NDS Services applet and then start the NDS Server again. dirxml.dlm should now show in the list as "Running".
Much of this information was extracted from TID 1006940, as previously mentioned. I highly recommend using this TID when installing NAM 2.1 for Windows 2000 over non-eDirectory 8.5.1 environments.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com