Restoring the Default Filters in BorderManager 3.7
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
Digg This -
Posted: 15 Jul 2003
Ever want to just reset all the default filters and start over? Not to worry. Here's what you do: (Note: to learn how to reset them in BorderManager 3.6, see this article.)
1. Make sure there is a Master or Read/Write replica of eDirectory on the BorderManager server (of the partition that the BM server is in). Make sure that there are NO eDirectory errors (DSREPAIR).
2. Make sure that in the SYS:\ETC\HOSTS file, you do NOT list the PUBLIC interface (IP address), and make sure that only the PRIVATE interface is listed, with only the SERVERNAME, for example:
# PrivIP ServerName 10.0.0.1 SERVERNAME
(NOTE: you want a blank line as the last line in the file, and that you do NOT use TAB characters to separate the private IP address and the servername...use spaces. Also, make sure that there is NOT a 3rd entry on this line...only these 2 entries).
3. Make sure that at least BorderManager 3.7 SP1 is installed.
4. Go to INETCFG->Protocols->TCP/IP->Filter Support (DISABLE this). Do NOT "reinitialize system" at this point. EXIT out of INETCFG.
5. Delete all filters/objects in the "NBMRuleContainer" in NWAdmin/ConsoleOne. Do NOT delete the "NBMRuleContainer" itself.
6. Rename FILTERS.CFG (or delete it).
7. Reinitialize System.
8. LOAD BRDCFG.NLM.
9. Say NO to launch INETCFG.NLM.
10. Select Set filters on the Public interface.
11. Select the PUBLIC interface and enter on continue.
12. Hit ENTER when prompted to acknowledge both IP and IPX filter placement success.
13. Hit ESCAPE to leave BRDCFG.NLM. The system will be reinitialized automatically.
14. Unload IPFLT, IPXFLT, AND FILTSRV at the console. (Make SURE that FILTSRV is unloaded!)
15. Load FILTSRV MIGRATE (This will migrate the filters into eDirectory from the FILTERS.CFG file.)
16. Unload FILTSRV.
17. Reinitialize System.
18. Go into FILTCFG to see if filters are there. If the filters are NOT there, then verify the size of the FILTERS.CFG file (should be at least 4k in size). If it is NOT at least 4k in size, then copy the BRDCFG.NLM from the BM 3.7 CDROM, then repeat from STEP #8 above.
19. If STEP #18 doesn't do it, then copy BUILTINS.CFG from the BM 3.7 CDROM, then repeat from STEP #8 above. Verify size of FILTERS.CFG.
20. Reboot the server, and verify that FILTCFG shows the filters.
For more info, see TID 10080403