Troubleshooting GroupWise Client Problems
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
Digg This -
Posted: 14 Feb 2002
Version: GroupWise 6
The following steps can be used as a general guideline for troubleshooting GroupWise client problems. Exact steps could certainly vary depending on what is found along the "troubleshooting path".
- See if the problem happens with this user's GW account on another PC. If so then the problem is likely to be in the user's GW user db or the user's archive (if on a network drive).
- Run GWcheck, Structure, Index, Contents and Fix Problems on the user.
- If needed, make a note of the users Options (under Tools), then run GWcheck, Reset Client Options. This may reset the password also (if the password was set by the user insteqad of the admin).
- Run a Re-create User db (How to perform a Re-create User Database TID 10007720) with GWcheck. Note that this has side affects! There will be no calendar items restored and mail will be restored BUT outside of the user's folders under the cabinet.
- Drop the user from NGWGUARD.DB. See Details on how to drop a user, message or other database from the "guard" (NOVL33804).
- If necessary, archive user mail and calendar items, create a new account and use the Archive FID Editor utility (How to use GWAFE510 (Archive FID Editor) TID 10014261) to unarchive mail items into the new account.
Notes: Occasionally the archive database can cause a problem. If this is suspected, check to see where the user's archive is set to. Then with GroupWise closed rename this directory. If the problem then goes away, GWcheck may be run on the archive and the directory renamed back into place so the GroupWise recognizes it again.
For details or updates on this tip, see TID-10061444.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com