Setting up GroupWise WebAccess with Apache and Tomcat on Solaris
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
Digg This -
Posted: 23 Oct 2002
This document can assist you in setting up GroupWise WebAccess 6.0 using the Apache webserver and Tomcat servlet gateway. Although the setup is similar with different OS's (NetWare, NT, or Solaris), this document is specific to the Solaris platform.
In this document, the version of Apache used is 1.3.26 and Tomcat is 3.3.1. These are available to download from their websites. Apache is available at http://www.apache.org and Tomcat can be found at http://jakarta.apache.org. Testing was also performed using Java SDK version 1.31. This can be obtained at http://java.sun.com.
In the example listed below, the following system variables have been set:
TEMP = /temp
APACHE_HOME = /usr/local/apache
TOMCAT_HOME = /usr/local/tomcat
JAVA_HOME = /usr/j2se
Here are the steps for installation:
- Complete the install of Apache, Tomcat and the Java SDK onto the Solaris box. Use the mod_jk connector to integrate Tomcat with Apache. The documentation on how to do this can be found at http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.3-doc/mod_jk-howto.html. After the setup of all pieces are complete and the services are started, you should be able to go to the following URL and be displayed a webpage. http://<ip address of the server>/examples/servlets/index.html
- From the GroupWise software distribution directory, run the INSTALL.EXE from the INTERNET/WEBACCES subdirectory.
- When prompted during the install, choose to only install the WebAccess Agent. You will be prompted to install the agent to a NetWare or Windows NT/2000 box. Choose the platform you will be using and continue until the agent install process is completed.
- FTP the contents of the GroupWise software distribution directory/INTERNET/WEBACCES/UNIX to the Solaris box and copy them to $TEMP. Also, FTP the COMMGR.CFG file located at <domain.directory>\wpgate\<webaccess.directory> to the Solaris box and place in the $TEMP directory.
- From a terminal prompt do the following to copy the Novell WebAccess files into the correct directories:
tar -xvf $TEMP/webaccessdocs.tar
tar -xvf $TEMP/webaccessservlets.tar
tar -xvf $TEMP/webaccessjars.tar
tar -xvf $TEMP/webaccess.tar
- Edit the web.xml file in the $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF. Add the following text between the <web-app> and </web-app> tags. If you are not installing Webpublisher, do not include the text between the second set of servlet tags:
- Open the \novell\webaccess\webacc.cfg for editing and change the following line:
You may want to check the following lines to make sure they point to valid directories on your Solaris Box. They normally point to subdirectories under /novell/webaccess:
Log.File Seurity.Timeout File.Upload.Path
Make sure the following lines exist:
Save and exit the file
- If you are NOT installing Webpublisher, you can skip this step.
Open the \novell\webpublisher\webpub.cfg for editing. Change the following line:
Templates.path=/java/servlets/com/novell/webaccess/templates To Templates.path=/usr/local/tomcat/webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes\com\ novell\webpublisher\templates
You may want to check the following lines to make sure they point to valid directories on your Solaris Box. They normally point to subdirectories under /novell/webpublisher:
The following line should also exist:
Save and exit the file
- Copy the COMMGR.CFG file from $TEMP to /novell/webaccess and /novell/webpublisher directories.
- Copy the INDEX.HTML file from $TEMP to $APACHE_HOME/htdocs. Do this ONLY if you wish to overwrite the existing webpage.
- Start tomcat servlet. (You should be able to see the WebAccess and Webpublisher Servlet load in Tomcat's logs or possibly on the Solaris Console Screen.)
- Start Apache.
- Test by having a browser go to the webserver's homepage and then select the "GO" button. If Tomcat is setup properly, you should be able to see the login screen.
<servlet> <servlet-name>webacc</servlet-name> <servlet-class>com.novell.webaccess.WebAccessServlet </servlet-class> <init-param> <param-name>>Config</param-name> <param-value>sys:/Novell/WebAccess/webacc.cfg</param-value> </init-param>> <load-on-startup> </load-on-startup> </servlet> <servlet> <servlet-name>spellchk</servlet-name> <servlet-class>com.novell.collexion.spell.servlet.SpellServlet </servlet-class> <init-param> <param-name>Config</param-name> <param-value>SYS:/Novell/WebAccess/spellchk.cfg</param-value> </init-param> <load-on-startup> </load-on-startup> </servlet> <servlet> <servlet-name>webpub</servlet-name> <servlet-class>com.novell.webpublisher.WebPublisherServlet </servlet-class> <init-param> <param-name>Config</param-name> <param-value>sys:/Novell/WebPublisher/webpub.cfg</param-value> </init-param> <load-on-startup> </load-on-startup> </servlet>
See TID10075872 for more information or updates.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com