Rule to Filter Attachments for Viruses
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By Jeff Bowen
Digg This -
Posted: 29 Jan 2003
Problem: E-mail viruses/trojans were hitting us hard, especially NIMDA. We needed a quick way to sift through the possible hazardous attachments before users had the chance to open them.
Solution: Created rules in the GroupWise clients that searched for attachment extensions. Those extensions that were in the rule were automatically deleted/declined and emptied without the users even knowing.
- Under the Tools menu, choose Rules, click New. Pick a suitable name.
- Under When event is choose New Item and items are: Received.
- Under Item types, check all the boxes except for Phone messages.
- Click the Define Conditions... button.
In the first drop down box, choose All Fields. Choose Attachments and click OK.
- In the text box provided, type in your first attachment extension. For example "*.exe".
- Next change the End button to Or and repeat the previous steps until all attachment types are entered. (I used *.exe, *.bat, *.scr, *.com, *.pif, and *.vbs, but I'm sure there are more you could block.)
- When finished adding your extensions, click OK.
- Under Then actions are, click Add Action and choose Reply.
This will allow you to send a reply message when an invalid attachment is found.
- Simply choose Reply to Sender and type in your message.
- Next, click Add Action again and choose Delete/Decline.
- Next, click Add Action again and choose Empty Item.
- Finally click Save when finished. This should send your rule into action.
For more tips see:
|submit a tip|
Here's a chance to share your experiences using GroupWise. Just send us a tip about using (or installing, deploying, troubleshooting, etc.) GroupWise, and if it looks like something we can use, we'll send you a Novell t-shirt, post your tip, and make you famous beyond your tamest dreams. Submit your tip here: http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/forms/submit_a_tip.html
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com