Rebuilding Domain and Post Office Databases over slow WAN
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By Gene Homan
Digg This -
Posted: 10 Apr 2003
Problem: Our GroupWise system has Domains and Post Offices located over a slow WAN link and administered by a single administrator at a central site. Admin needs to rebuild the Domain and Post Office databases from the central site.
Solution: Since rebuilding over WAN links is very painful, slow and sometimes ends up with a corrupt database at the end, here's how you can get it done very quickly.
- "Suspend" the Admin thread on the GWMTA and GWPOA for the Domain & PO that you are going to Rebuild.
- Rebuild the Domain DB locally (i.e. C:\GWTEMP\) by overriding the UNC Path presented when you are going through the Domain Rebuild steps.
- Copy the standard GWPOA.DC to C:\GWTEMP.
- Issue a C1 > Tools > GW System Operations > Select Domain command.
- Enter in C:\GWTEMP.
- Now you do the Rebuild of the PO DB to C:\GWTEMP also (like above) while you are connected to the Domain DB (non-production now) that owns this PO.
- Once finished, "Connect" back to a Domain that is in the production system.
- Copy the two .DB files just rebuilt from C:\GWTEMP out to the remote site over the WAN link, but first unload the GWMTA and GWPOA programs prior to placing the .DB files in their final location.
- Re-load the GWMTA or GWPOA after the file is in place.
For more tips see:
|submit a tip|
Here's a chance to share your experiences using GroupWise. Just send us a tip about using (or installing, deploying, troubleshooting, etc.) GroupWise, and if it looks like something we can use, we'll send you a Novell t-shirt, post your tip, and make you famous beyond your tamest dreams. Submit your tip here: http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/forms/submit_a_tip.html
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com