BrainStorm Cool Tip: Automatically File Items
Novell Cool Solutions: Tip
By BrainStorm, Inc.
Digg This -
Posted: 10 Jun 2004
Welcome to BrainStorm Cool Tips. New tips will be posted regularly to help you more effectively use GroupWise. If you have any suggestions for tips, please feel free to let us know by emailing email@example.com.
|automatically file items|
Have you ever wanted a way in which all items (once read or viewed) from a particular person, such as your supervisor, could automatically be filed in a folder? This way you always know exactly where those messages are stored and you do not need waste all the time manually moving each item after you have read it.
Rules can help you solve this problem. Part 1 explains how to create a folder in which all the messages from the supervisor will be filed. Then Part 2 explains how to create the rule that will do the filing work for you.
- Click File and then New and then choose Folder.
- Specify Personal Folder and click Next.
- Type in a name for your folder (e.g., Items from my supervisor).
- Position the folder where you want it within the folder list and click Next and then click Finish.
- Again, from the main menu bar click Tools and then choose Rules and click the New... button.
- Name your rule (e.g., Move items from my supervisor).
- Change When event is to Exit (See Customizations below for other triggers) and ensure that there is a checkmark in Received.
- Under If conditions are place a checkmark in Mail (and Phone if desired, but don't mark Calendar items) and click on Define Conditions.
- Choose From in the first drop box and  Contains as the delimiter. Then type the supervisor's name as it appears on messages in the next field.
- Click on End and change it to And.
- Choose Item Status in the new drop down box and  Contains as the delimiter again. Then choose Opened for the final field and click OK. (See Figure 1.)
- Now click Add Action and then Move to Folder... and place a checkmark in the box next to the folder that you created in Part 1. Then click Move.
- Click Save and then Close.
Now whenever you close GroupWise, whether at the end of the day or any other time, this rule will execute. In other words, all the items that you have opened from the supervisor will be automatically moved to the supervisor's folder.
In Part 2, Step 3, you can specify to have the items moved as soon as they are received. Do this by changing When event is to New Item. If you choose this option, be sure to omit Steps 7 and 8. You can also modify this rule to file items about a project. To do this, choose Subject or Message and enter key words about the project in Step 6.
|more BrainStorm cool tips|
If you would like more information on how to increase your productivity and utilization of GroupWise, visit BrainStorm online at http://www.brainstorminc.com. BrainStorm, Inc. is Novell's End-User Training Partner.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com