AppNote Tool: Error Process Source Code
Novell Cool Solutions: Cool Tool
Error Processing in exteNd Composer: Simplifying Maintenance and Debugging
|Posted:||10 Jun 2003|
|Publisher:||Developer Notes, Bob Burgess, Marcel Thibault|
Please read the note from our friends in legal before using this file.
If you've built at least one component in exteNd Composer, you've probably realized how easy it is to capture a system error and send the results to a log file. Composer provides a number of methods to handle this situation with actions such as the Try/On Error or Raise Error and logging options. These actions make it very easy to capture an error condition and then send it to a log file.
However, a production situation often requires the use of multiple components. That is when a number of error processing questions arise; among them might be the following:
- How can I best manage the error processing of these related components?
- How do I propagate the error up to the calling component?
- How or where is it best to record or log the error?
- Which components completed processing before the error occurred?
- Should the execution process even continue after an error is encountered?
- Where in the process is the most time spent processing?
This AppNote presents an efficient method to address these process/error management issues. It is designed for consultants and developers familiar with the exteNd Composer development environment who want a flexible method of recording process errors and component execution paths.
This download is the sample project referenced in this AppNote.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com