Though not designed to be a true "screen saver" (as it does not draw fancy graphics), SSLock for NDS is an NDS-aware console-locker that has some screen-saver-like features. When SSLock is in the keyboard "locked" mode, it takes over as the current screen anddisplays some text in random locations on the screen so as not to burn the screen in. Its auto-lock feature will secure the console keyboard even if you forget to. For the security-concerned administrators,SSLock has built-in logging functions to keep track of who unlocked orunloaded the NLM and when. It even has a "intruder detection warning &lockout" feature!
The SCRSAVER NLM shipped with NetWare 5 and higher requires you tohave Supervisor object rights to the server object in order to unlockthe console.SSLock is much more flexible. You can define users to be member of agroup in order to unlock the console (but not unload the NLM). To unloadthe NLM (i.e. to turn it off), the user needs to be a member of adifferent group. Users that have Supervisor object rights to the server objectcan unlock and unload SSLock.
SSLock for NDS works with NetWare 4.10 and higher. [We also haveavailable SSLock3X, a bindery-based works with NetWare 3.12 andhigher (but not with NetWare 4.0 and higher--this is by design). We are nolonger adding features to it but it is still available upon special request.]
Included with v6.13 and higher is a GUI client modulethat can be used to control the locking, unlocking, and unloadng of SSLock froma workstation (over IP). This is also a handy feature in NetWare 6 environmentswhere there is currently a bug in RCONJ (not fixed yet in SP2)--when ascreen saver (SSLock or even Novell's own SCRSAVER NLM) is active,RCONJ will report "screen destoryed" upon connecting to theserver. At this point, you have no further access to the server. However, usingthe GUI module (called SSUnLock), you can remotely unlock the console and RCONJwill then allow you full access to the console.
- Novell Certified. YES Bulletin #49612
- The bindery version, SSLock3X, is 'frozen' at v4.71 and no new developmentwork will be done to it, unless specially requested.
- Version 4.80 adds pseudo-contextless authentication.
- Version 4.85 adds option to disallow use of emergency bypass and changedIDLE limit to be between 5 seconds and 3600 seconds (one hour).
- Version 4.93c/4.94 adds options to set a server-specific PIN to authorizethe use of emergency bypass, and to set the lockout reset timer. Also addedability to execute an NCF file when intruder is detected.
- Version 5.13 and higher supports screen-locking via RCONJ inpure-IP mode.
- Version 6.13 and higher supports sending of alerts via SMTP e-mail, andincludes a GUI client module (SSUnLock).
- Version 6.20 allows display of some legal textbefore unlocking the screen.