Novell Cool Solutions: Cool Tool
Web-based interface for system administration for Unix.
|Updated:||28 Feb 2007|
Please read the note from our friends in legal before using this file.
B Praveenkumar wrote, "I found this to be a useful tool for a newbie to UNIX/Linux".
Using any browser that supports tables and forms (and Java for the File Manager module), you can setup user accounts, Apache, DNS, file sharing and so on.
Webmin consists of a simple web server, and a number of CGI programs which directly update system files like /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/passwd. The web server and all CGI programs are written in Perl version 5, and use no non-standard Perl modules.
Webmin is unique in the UNIX world, in that it provides a one-to-one graphical interface to nearly every service and action needed to maintain a UNIX system. It is universally accessible, because it only requires a web browser.
If your OS or system vendor does not provide a package of Webmin, then you can go to the Webmin homepage at: http://www.webmin.com/. Here you will find the latest version of Webmin in a tarball package, a Solaris pkg, and an RPM package. The tarball will work on nearly any UNIX version that has Perl, while the RPM package is known to work directly on at least Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSE, MSC and Caldera versions of Linux.
Webmin Can be used to to monitor , administer and maintain many services on Linux / UNIX
Some of the Services Like NFSv4, PureFTPd , HA, Clustering Services, DNS/DHCP , My SQL etc can be configured , Maintained and administered using this webmin.
One Main Advantage of this webmin is it having CRON jobs and its ability to send the reports through mail( once Configured).
It has Support of many Third party Tools
- My SQL
- Pure FTPd
- Heart Beat
- Clustering Services
- Cron Jobs
Version 1.330 (27 February 2007)
- If the underlying OS is upgraded after Webmin is installed, a message is displayed on the main page prompting you to fix it.
- Added a feature in the BIND module for updating an IP address in multiple zones at once.
- The File Manager now automatic detects HTML files and launches the correct editor.
- Improved the LDAP module's support for large databases.
- When there are too many tables or databases to display in the MySQL and PostgreSQL modules, a menu for selecting a specific table is shown instead.
- Added functions to ui-lib.pl for tabs and hidden table sections.
- Added support for comments to the Shorewall module, and improved logging
- The Webmin Actions Log module can now rollback selected files changed by an action, rather than all of them.
- View the detailed change log.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com