Avoiding Clarion SAN Issues by Configuring Startup.ncf Properly
Novell Cool Solutions: Trench
By Peter Piotrowski
Digg This -
Posted: 5 Jul 2005
"This is a really good hardware tip for those running Clarion SANs."
PROBLEM: Multiple issues with powerpath, Qlogic drivers, with NetWare in Clarion SAN enviroment.
Startup.ncf must be created properly.
- Qlogic.ham driver should be followed by parameters:
/luns /allpaths /qualified /lunzero /portnames
/Lunzero is not needed by powerpath, but it is extremely useful in case something goes wrong.
- Powpath.cdm should be loaded just before Qlogics
- All other drivers should be loaded BEFORE powerpath and Qlogics
- First storage HAM driver - this should be the device we are booting from.
- *.PSM - multiprocessor driver should be loaded before any device driver to avoid situation that some drivers are running in single and some in multiprocessor mode.
- QLCSFTE.CDM should be removed from startup - this is not needed.
- CPQSHD.CDM should be removed from startup - use SCSIHD.CDM instead.
Example of proper startup.ncf
LOAD ACPIDRV.PSM LOAD SCSIHD.CDM LOAD PEDGE.HAM SLOT=10019 LOAD IDECD.CDM LOAD IDEATA.HAM SLOT=10011 LOAD POWPATH.CDM LOAD QL2300.HAM SLOT=2 /LUNS /allpaths /portnames /qualified /LUNZERO LOAD QL2300.HAM SLOT=3 /LUNS /allpaths /portnames /qualified /LUNZERO LOAD KEYB.NLM United Kingdom LOAD CHARSET.NLM CP850
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com