Automatically Adding NT Workstations to a Domain
Novell Cool Solutions: Trench
By Mark Walters
Digg This -
Posted: 24 Jul 2001
I have found a way of adding an NT/2000 workstation to a domain without user intervention. This can be done by distributing a "Force Run" application to the Users.
The users should be a member of the local Administrators group, if not, then use Workstation Manager to run a batch file with impersonation of "System".
- In order to have Workstations join a domain, you need to greate a Domain user and give it the User right of "Add computers to the Domain".
- Now create an application object to Force Run the Program Netdom.exe
- Set the command line parameters to be:
(All should be on one line)
/Domain:xxx /User:yyy /password:zzz member \\%computername% /joindomain
- where xxx is the name of the domain
- yyy is the Domain user created
- zzz is the password for the user
NETDOM.EXE is part of the Microsoft Windows NT resource Kit and can be downloaded from the Internet.
This method certainly makes rolling out a Domain a Dream!
Hope you enjoy it...
If you have any questions you may contact Mark at email@example.com
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com