Getting IP Address Details via an App Object: Part 2
Novell Cool Solutions: Trench
By Thore Andersson
Digg This -
Posted: 27 Feb 2004
Regarding my tip for "Getting IP Address Details via an App Object." Sorry if I did not explain clearly enough. This is how you should do it (we have used it for a couple of years):
- Create a simple application.
- Select "Distribute always" under "Distribution Options" > "Options".
- Under "Distribution Options" > "Text Files" select "Add" > "File". Type in a file name in a server folder that your users have mapped a drive to, and have [All but SA] rights to. Example "I:\Logg\MacKoll2.txt".
- Select the file you have just typed in (in my example "I:\Logg\MacKoll2.txt") and select "Add" > "Change".
- In the dialog box select Modification: "Add text to the file" and Add text to: "End of the file".
- Type in at Add what: %WORKSTATION_DN%,(%PHYSICAL_STATION%,%OS% %OS_VERSION%),%CN%,%REQUESTER_CONTEXT%,(%GIVEN_NAME% %LAST_NAME% %L% %OU%),%YEAR%-%MONTH%-%DAY%,%HOUR24%:%MINUTE%
- Make sure "Install only" is selected under "Run Options" > "Application".
- Associate the application with a User Group, make sure "Force Run" is selected.
Every time the application is run a new line is added to the log file.
Example of I:\Logg\MacKoll2.txt:
DAC62CD6-XP.It.ADM.KS.UDDEVALLA,(192.168.149.38,Windows_NT V5.01),Tho,It.ADM.KS.UDDEVALLA,(Thore Andersson IT-avdelningen Administrationen),2004-02-24,09:02 02951BDE-XP.ZENworks4.SYSTEM.UDDEVALLA,(192.168.149.53,Windows_NT V5.01),Tho,It.ADM.KS.UDDEVALLA,(Thore Andersson IT-avdelningen Administrationen),2004-02-24,09:04 DAC62CD6-XP.It.ADM.KS.UDDEVALLA,(192.168.149.38,Windows_NT V5.01),Tho,It.ADM.KS.UDDEVALLA,(Thore Andersson IT-avdelningen Administrationen),2004-02-24,09:06
For those who don't like to type, I have attached an AXT file you can use.
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com