Thinking about Migrating To Linux?
Novell Cool Solutions: Trench
Digg This -
Posted: 16 Jun 2004
Are you thinking about migrating to Linux? If so, you might have the following questions:
- What are the benefits of running applications in a Linux environment?
- How has it worked for other organizations?
- Where do we start and how do we manage our Linux infrastructure?
The Benefits of Linux
Stability, performance, scalability, better empowerment of I.T. organizations to control their destiny -vs.- proprietary software solutions. These are just a few of the benefits of Linux-based applications. Perhaps the most important benefit is companies that migrate their business applications to Linux-based networks can achieve substantial savings in a short amount of time. And with Novell ZENworks, organizations are dramatically cutting the cost of managing their Linux infrastructures.
New York City Council
The New York City Council, a long-term Novell customer, is well underway with its IT infrastructure migration to Linux. It has been a stage-by-stage process for them and a glowing success because they didn't boil the ocean by taking it on all at once. For customer organizations like the New York City Council, the move to Linux was the answer to their needs for lower overall purchase price and cost of ownership, Web-based solutions, modifiable technology, and easier integration into legacy applications.
Where to Begin
Organizations talking about Linux are trying to decide how to properly implement it into their business-technical operations. With appropriate planning and the right management tools like ZENworks, companies can move their business applications to a Linux platform and enjoy significant return on investment while working with a less intrusive network infrastructure.
The key actions to appropriate strategic planning for the migration and deployment to Linux are:
- Choose Novell Nterprise Linux Services (NNLS) including SUSE Linux and NetWare as the foundation for running your open source applications.
- Start with services-Don't feel you have to move everything at once.
- Upgrade your business applications to open-source-Choose a successful first business application on Linux. Business applications like GroupLink's Collaborative Customer Engagement? (CCE?) for leads generation, sales force automation, and customer satisfaction are updated for open-source environments allowing organizations to brand and modify applications to meet specific needs.
- Where possible, phase out client-side applications-Linux' open-source capabilities allow applications to be Web-based, eliminating the need for client applications, thereby increasing efficiency and lowering total cost of ownership.
- Select ZENworks 6.5 with its cutting-edge Linux-management capabilities and reduce the cost of managing your IT infrastructure across any environment.
At GroupLink, we recently completed the migration of our proprietary business applications to Linux, which we credit, along with helping fellow long-time clients migrate, as the opportunity to learn the best lessons. We have found that a simple, lean, cost effective system is the best thing we can offer to our customers. Although migrating to Linux might feel like a great undertaking, it is completely manageable thanks to solutions like ZENworks.
Novell ZENworks allows companies to manage the entire lifecycle of desktops, laptops, servers and handheld devices. ZENworks automates IT management processes throughout diverse systems, to decrease administrative burdens and increase enterprise-wide business efficiency.
Read the full article and get your free download here
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com