Failing the NAV Master Server from one node to another on a NetWare Cluster
Novell Cool Solutions: Trench
By Jack Turner
Digg This -
Posted: 12 Jun 2003
If you are running Norton Anti-Virus (NAV) on a clustered NetWare system, you don't have any native way to fail the NAV Master Server from one node to another. The eDirectory Cool Solutions article about Stuffkey NLM reminded me of how I managed to accomplish this trick. I've only done this in a test environment, but it seemed to work just fine.
- Place the STUFFKEY.NLM and the UN-NAV.TXT file (detailed below) in the SYSTEM directory of each cluster server.
- Install NAV on the SYS volume of each cluster server.
- Designate one of these servers as the Master NAV server.
- Create a NAV-dedicated volume (it can be very small), but do not add it to the cluster yet.
- Unload NAV on the Master Nserver.
- Copy the SYS:\NAV directory to the new NAV-dedicated volume.
- Cluster enable the NAV-dedicated volume, and edit the load and unload scripts as follows.
- Load NAV from the NAV-dedicated volume on the Master Server.
- Using the NAV console, make the new virtual "Cluster Server" the NAV Master Server.
Now you have two \NAV directories -- one on the SYS volume for running everyday, non-master server NAV, and the other on the SAV-dedicated volume for running Master Server SAV. The load script simply causes a node in the cluster to unload "Non-Master NAV" and then to load "Master NAV."
Note: The scripts shown below assume that the volume name is NAV1 and IP address is 10.9.99.99 -- use actual names once they've been assigned.
stuffkey sys:\system\un-nav.txt nss /activate=NAV1 mount NAV1 VOLID=?? trustmig NAV1 watch NUDP ADD SDCLUSTER1_NAV1_SERVER 10.9.99.99 add secondary ipaddress 10.9.9.99 load sys:\backex\bin\cmagent --ssicmapi e NAV1:\NAV\VPSTART /install
stuffkey sys:\system\un-nav.txt load sys:\backex\bin\shutcm --ssicmapi e del secondary ipaddress 10.9.9.99 NUDP DEL SDCLUSTER1_NAV1_SERVER 10.9.99.99 trustmig NAV1 unwatch dismount NAV1 /force nss /forcedeactivate=NAV1 SYS:\NAV\VPSTART /install
# Unload Norton AntiVirus # -------------------------------------------------- # Go to the NAV screen and unload it <screen=Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition> <af10><cr>symantec<cr> # Wait for the NLM's to terminate <waitfor noscreen=Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition> cls<cr>
If you have any questions you may contact Jack at email@example.com
Novell Cool Solutions (corporate web communities) are produced by WebWise Solutions. www.webwiseone.com