Sending a Welcome Message to New Users
Novell Cool Solutions: Trench
By Brian Anderson
Digg This -
Posted: 5 Apr 2001
Version: GroupWise 5.5 EP
A few weeks ago we posted an Open Call for ideas about how to automatically send a Welcome Message to all the new users you add to your system. Brian Anderson contributed this nice solution. If you have any other ideas, please let us know.
I have attached a solution for the 'Welcome Message' problem. Of course the best solution would be to modify your Admin API or DirXML app that automatically grabs info from your HR system. But, not all of us have the time or skill to do that.
My solution uses a C3P0 and GW Rules.
Once installed, the c3po checks to see if the user has logged in before on the machine. If not, it sends a message to GWAdmin with a body of 'Your GroupWise Account'. The GWAdmin account has a rule watching for these messages, and replies back with a 'welcome to the rock' message (RE: Your GroupWise Account). You can, of course, customize the message generated by the rule, and don't forget that the rule can attach files that the POA has access to ( \\myserver\vol1\policies.doc )
OK, client-based solutions are not the best, but I have included an addon.cfg for the install so that you can use the setupip and bump the build # to push the c3po down to your users.
- Create an account or nickname that = gwadmin.
- Create a rule on the account that looks for new mail where message contains 'your groupwise account'.
- Add reply action and fill in message, attachments, etc.
- Install c3po on clients, with ZEN, setupip, etc.
- Sit back and smile, knowing that all new accounts have received a copy of company policies and training materials.
If you have any questions you may contact Brian at email@example.com