5.13 Preventing Virus
Keep viruses off the network by educating users about virus
dangers and by enforcing procedures that reduce virus risks, such
as the following:
- Back up data frequently.
- Maintain layers of archived backups so you can retrieve
a backup from a preinfected file.
- Keep a write-protected, bootable diskette with the
latest virus scan and removal software for all servers and workstations.
- Keep a backup of executable files and flag them
- Educate yourself about the infection techniques
of the latest viruses.
- Educate network users about how to detect viruses.
- Warn users of the dangers of viruses. Discourage
them from using diskettes and files that have been in computers
away from work.
- Teach users to power down their workstations immediately
upon encountering a virus.
- Restrict access to a server’s diskette
drives by locking the server in a secure room. Put tape over the
drive openings to remind you not to use them unnecessarily.
- Avoid using the Admin account when possible. The
fewer privileges your login account has, the less power a virus
has to destroy data and to spread.