Next Version of Novell GroupWise: Managing the Information that Drives Business on the Net
Novell, Inc. today announced at CeBIT 2000 in Hannover, Germany, details for the next version of Novell GroupWise, the knowledge platform that delivers a wide array of Net services software, including messaging, calendaring, document management and workflow.
Novell, Inc. today announced at CeBIT 2000 in Hannover, Germany, details for the next version of Novell GroupWise, the knowledge platform that delivers a wide array of Net services software, including messaging, calendaring, document management and workflow. The release, code-named BulletProof, expands Novell's leading portfolio of Net services software products by enhancing the robust functionality of GroupWise across all types of networks and all leading operating systems.
Central to the BulletProof release is the industry's first integrated Extensible Markup Language (XML) infrastructure allowing smooth and easy integration of third-party products and services as well as additional enhancements that fall into four key areas: general reliability and scalability, platform independent access, system manageability and security. Together these enhancements will give users easy access to relevant information anytime and anywhere, enabling them to extend business processes, promote customer loyalty and conduct business on the Net.
"GroupWise has become the mission-critical application in our organization, because it's so effective at simplifying information management on the Net," said Bob Baraldi, director of information technology at Springfield Technical Community College, a community college based in Springfield, Mass., with more than 7,000 day and evening students. "With the BulletProof release of GroupWise, information access and management will become even easier and more efficient giving our users access to the knowledge they need, when and where they need it, while still simplifying the responsibilities of our IT staff."
Specific features and enhancements in the BulletProof release of GroupWise address the following e-business demands:
- XML and Internet standards GroupWise's integrated XML infrastructure and support for Internet standards will allow a smooth and easy integration between third-party products or services such as virus-scanning tools and workflow applications and the GroupWise system to create complete Net solutions.
- Reliability and scalability Because of the mission-critical nature of GroupWise as the central repository of knowledge in an enterprise, downtime is not an option. Improvements to the reliability and scalability of GroupWise, including support for advanced services like clustering, will ensure that users have "anytime access" to the knowledge they need allowing them to interpret and respond to the needs of customers at Internet speed.
- Platform independent access Today's enterprises demand that a true knowledge platform must be accessible from anywhere in the world. Significant enhancements to the GroupWise Web client, WebAccess, meet this demand by giving users "anywhere access" whether wired or wireless to relevant information over the Web. This access allows those users to interpret and respond to the needs of customers regardless of their location.
- System Manageability The BulletProof release of GroupWise will feature tighter integration with the latest Net services software, including NDS eDirectory and DirXML. The advantages of this integration are twofold: First, DirXML will allow GroupWise to play a stronger role in enterprise-wide business processes simplifying procedures such as the hiring of new employees by creating and managing account information from a single location. Second, the tighter integration with NDS eDirectory available in BulletProof will make it possible to completely manage the GroupWise system from anywhere using only a Web browser lowering cost of ownership.
- Security Enterprises cannot conduct business on the Net unless that business is secure. GroupWise already supports Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), Secure Multipurpose Internet Mail Extension (SMIME), Public Key Infrastructure (PKI), Certificates and other Internet security standards. With BulletProof, GroupWise will enhance its Internet-ready security to include SSL connections between Post Offices.
"As the world moves from diverse networks to one Net, the information available to businesses grows exponentially; but that information has little value unless it can be harnessed into knowledge that is both relevant and useful," said Dave Shirk, Novell's senior vice president of product management. "As a true knowledge platform, GroupWise provides a simple and reliable way to connect users to the people and information they need at any time and from any location. GroupWise then allows those users to refine that information to become the knowledge needed to drive informed business decisions."
Availability and Pricing
The BulletProof release of GroupWise will be available by the end of this year. Pricing will be announced at that time. For more information about GroupWise, go to www.novell.com/groupwise.
Novell, Inc. (NASDAQ:NOVL), is a leading provider of Net services software that delivers services to secure and power all types of networks the Internet, intranets, and extranets; wired to wireless; corporate and public across leading operating systems. Novell's Net services software provides the foundation for one Net a single global network that supports new applications and forms of business. Net Services software gives IT organizations a way to adapt and accelerate their transformation to e-business, simplify the management and control of all networks, create a secure foundation for doing business on the Net, and help deliver a consistent and high-quality experience to end users in all locations. Worldwide channel, consulting, education and technical support programs, along with strategic alliances, combine Novell Net services software with third-party products and services to form complete Net solutions.
For information on Novell's complete range of products and services, contact Novell's Customer Response Center at (888) 321-4CRC (4272), or visit Novell's Web site at http://www.novell.com. Press may access Novell announcements and company information on the World Wide Web at http://www.novell.com/pressroom. In addition, detailed comparisons between Novell products and competitive offerings from other vendors are available on the Web at http://www.novell.com/advantage.
Novell, GroupWise and NDS are registered trademarks, and eDirectory is a trademark of Novell, Inc. in the United States and other countries.
Ready to talk? Fill out the form below, or call .
* Required Fields