Novell Introduces iChain to Link Multiple Organizations through the Net
Novell, Inc., today announced iChain, secure intranet and extranet integration services that become the foundation for linking business processes between multiple companies through the Net.
Novell, Inc., today announced iChain, secure intranet and extranet integration services that become the foundation for linking business processes between multiple companies through the Net. In addition, iChain provides a foundation for these services in hosting environments, with full billing system integration. An extension of NDS eDirectory services, iChain allows fine-grained security to be established between organizations, while simplifying the way in which rights and privileges are managed. Groups of users or entire organizations can be assigned security privileges that reflect their role in a business process, to receive secure, controlled access to the information and applications they need.
"iChain provides companies a very real ability to extend their traditional business relationships and processes to customers and partners on the Net," commented Dave Shirk, Novell senior vice president, product management. "iChain represents an evolution of Novell's traditional expertise - managing business resources with a directory on internal networks - to managing business resources with our directory on one Net merging the enterprise and the Internet."
For an expanding ecosystem of Novell partners, including software vendors and system integrators, iChain provides a much-needed platform to build and integrate applications and business processes that leverage or re-purpose information already captured. As an example, today Whittman-Hart announced a new iChain initiative called e-Catalog, an end-to-end e-commerce solution that allows companies to leverage their ERP software investment and offer their Internet customers a personalized catalog of products and services.
Authorize.Net, a leading payment authorization service for online business worldwide, and a part of the Go2Net Network (Nasdaq: GNET), is pleased to announce their support of commerce activities for Novell's iChain initiative. "We see Novell taking the next logical step in the establishment of an e-business infrastructure by introducing integration points from their new iChain service to online merchant services and transaction processing," said David O. Heaps, President and CEO of Authorize.Net. "Authorize.Net is pleased to be a commerce partner for Novell's iChain platform. Leveraging its directory competence to provide enhanced e-commerce capabilities will ensure that Novell's e-business initiatives are successful." For more information on Authorize.Net see http://www.authorize.net
Several leading e-business companies, including Broadvision, Intershop and Plumtree Software, among others, announced support today for iChain. Additionally, iChain-related services will be available from Novell Channel partners as well as via Novell Consulting and System Integrator partners later this year. Novell Consulting Services and its integrator partners are providing multiple Business Solution Offerings that leverage the power of iChain and the B2B issues that iChain addresses. Please see www.novell.com/ichain for specific partner and channel announcements.
IDC predicts that commerce conducted over the Internet will top $3 trillion by the year 2003. While providing a directory-based infrastructure framework for business-to-business commerce with iChain, Novell will work with its partners to provide customers with a complete end-to-end solution.
Dubbed "iChain" for its role in managing relationships between a corporation's suppliers, customers and partners in an Internet supply chain, this framework from Novell demonstrates the power and flexibility of NDS eDirectory in providing management and control over millions of disparate pieces of data and information. Specifically, iChain provides common security, authentication, and management for e-business applications in a business-to-business environment. A complete white paper detailing the components and capabilities of iChain is available at: www.novell.com/ichain. Highlights include:
- NDS eDirectory - Novell's next-generation directory services provide a software foundation for secure, scalable e-business applications and services that can be customized to meet the needs and preferences of individual consumers and business users. iChain leverages Novell's replication technology, including DirXML, which enables eDirectory to present a unified view of data and information by integrating the disparate data systems in an environment
- Extranet Access Management- manages and protects the information and integrity of Web-based business transactions over the Internet. Provides employees and customers with access to the Web resources based on their roles and privileges. Security services within iChain provide secure access and ensure confidentiality.
- DirCommerce (Directory Commerce Services) - extends NDS by adding the ability for companies to host complete commerce services for e-business by adding fee-based goods and services into the directory. In addition, billing and reporting tools are provided to assist with financial management. Integration tools are also available to assist customers who wish to leverage their existing billing and reporting processes.
- Authentication Proxy - is responsible for the authentication of all users to the network using various means such as passwords, tokens, smart cards, certificates, and biometrics. The authentication server also provides a single sign-on for all applications the user has access to.
- Community Services - allows for the creation of communities of users and define policies and rights for those users. Custom portals can be created for the various digital communities based on areas of interest.
- E-Business Application Integration - open APIs and support for LDAP and DirXML are available for easy integration of third party e-commerce and other applications. Additionally, Novell is actively engaging in partnerships with the market leaders in the e-business space in order to deliver together complete solutions leveraging the iChain infrastructure.
iChain will be available via a controlled release to select partners within 60 days. The iChain solution will be available from Novell Channel partners as well as via Novell Consulting and System Integrator partners later this year. Please visit www.novell.com/ichain for more information.
Novell, Inc. (NASDAQ:NOVL), is a leading provider of Net services software that delivers services to secure and power all types of networks the Internet, intranets, and extranets; wired to wireless; corporate and public across leading operating systems. Novell's Net services software provides the foundation for one Net-a single global network that supports new applications and forms of business. Net Services software gives IT organizations a way to adapt and accelerate their transformation to e-business, simplify the management and control of all networks, create a secure foundation for doing business on the Net, and help deliver a consistent and high-quality experience to end users in all locations. Worldwide channel, consulting, education and technical support programs, along with strategic alliances, combine Novell Net services software with third-party products and services to form complete Net solutions.
For information on Novell's complete range of products and services, contact Novell's Customer Response Center at (888) 321-4CRC (4272), or visit Novell's Web site at http://www.novell.com. Press may access Novell announcements and company information on the World Wide Web at http://www.novell.com/pressroom. In addition, detailed comparisons between Novell products and competitive offerings from other vendors are available on the Web at http://www.novell.com/advantage.
Novell and NDS are registered trademarks, and eDirectory and iChain are trademarks of Novell, Inc. in the United States and other countries. All third-party trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Ready to talk? Fill out the form below, or call .
* Required Fields