Novell and Industry Partners Showcase Net Services Software at BrainShare 2000
BrainShare 2000 Technology Lab Houses 125 Technology Demos; Largest in BrainShare's History
Novell, Inc., a leading supplier of Net services software, today announced that it is displaying an impressive array of new technology from Novell and its industry partners at its annual BrainShare conference taking place this week in Salt Lake City. This year, the BrainShare Technology Lab, known in the industry as the central meeting place to see and discuss the most innovative networking and Internet technologies, will house more than 125 technology demos, the largest in BrainShare's history. The BrainShare 2000 Technology Lab demonstrates a wide-range of products and technologies from Novell and industry partners.
The BrainShare 2000 Technology Lab will highlight innovative technologies from nine categories including Identity Management Services; Network and Desktop Management; Network Services; Embedded Directory Technology; Developer Services; Collaboration Services; Directory-Enabled Applications and Services; Network and Internet Security; and eBusiness solutions.
Highlights of the cutting-edge demonstrations taking place at the BrainShare 2000 Technology lab include:
Net Management Services
- Net Services Console Demonstrating its commitment to delivering open administration solutions, Novell will highlight ConsoleOne and NOAH. ConsoleOne is a Java-based management and administration application that gives network administrators the freedom and flexibility to administer Novell and third-party products on a variety of platforms, including Windows, NetWare, Solaris and Linix. Novell Open Administration Host (NOAH) is a 100 percent Java-based administration utility that provides a browser-based administration console, allowing network administrators to log onto any machine from anywhere, giving them the freedom to manage more of the net from any location securely. Novell will also demonstrate the Java GUI-based administration snapin designer, highlighting how it dramatically simplifies extending the eDirectory schema and allows administration snapins to be created by a drag-and-drop process.
- Netware Cluster Services Eight Novell partners will highlight the high-availability of Net services software by demonstrating clustering services on Netware 5.0 and 5.1. Multi-node cluster services demos will range from inexpensive 2-node solutions to enterprise-class 32-node clusters. Partners include Compaq, Dell, DPT, Exabyte, Gadzoox Networks, Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Veritas, XIOtech.
- NDS eDirectory Sun Microsystems sheds light on the powerful benefits of the Sun/Novell solution. A single Sun Enterprise 450 server's robust performance, combined with Novell's NDS eDirectory, demonstrates the combination's ability to scale over a billion objects. This is important to customers who want to move their businesses from the LAN to the Internet. Now, Novell customers have a choice to run their directory services on the Sun platform.
Net Content Services
- Aquarium (code-name) Novell will highlight next-generation file services that will be available as packaged software, through an appliance, or as a hosted service. Aquarium brings together technologies from recently acquired JustOn and PGSoft, and delivers file sharing, synchronization and storage services on the Internet - offering anywhere anytime access to files. The demonstration will highlight file sharing, synchronization and storage services running on juston.com with Novell's Network Attached Storage (NAS) as back-end storage.
- Network Attached Storage NAS is a plug-and-play storage appliance that reduces the management costs for mixed networks by simplifying and consolidating storage for any platform. IBM will demonstrate technology integration with Novell's NAS appliance.
- Novell ICS Several partners will demonstrate third-party integration services with the Novell ICS technology. In addition to demonstrating the market-leading performance and scalability of the Novell ICS technology, the demos will highlight ICS as a foundation that enables customers to take advantage of new value-added services like multimedia, filtering and personalization services. RADWARE will demonstrate its Cache Server Director (CSD) focused on Quality of Service features. N2H2 will demonstrate its content filtering solution combined with Novell ICS technology running on a Compaq TaskSmart Server.
Net Portal Services
- digitalme Novell will showcase digitalme identity services with several partners, including Andersen Consulting, in order to show the ability for eBusinesses to easily manage Net relationships through customer registration services, secure and private user interaction and identity applications. In addition, Lucent will demonstrate a joint initiative for Presence and Availability Management applications that Novell will integrate with future versions of digitalme identity services and instantme.
- instantme Novell will demonstrate instantme client software, a Net instant messaging product targeted at eBusinesses. Novell will also highlight a secure version of instantme that integrates encryption and digital certificates to increase trust between two or more parties and ensure privacy and confidentiality of instant messages on the Internet. In addition, White Pine Software will highlight the integration of instantme with their audio and video conferencing solution.
- Ichain Novell's consulting partner MarchFirst (formerly Whittman-Hart) will demonstrate iChain integration with SAP software as part of their e-Catalog solution, highlighting iChain as a secure eBusiness platform.
- NetWare 5.1 Compaq will demonstrate the vertical scalability of Netware and the added benefits of enabling additional server consolidation. They will show that connecting more users to a single server can significantly lower server management costs. Compaq will demonstrate the combination of Netware and Oracle 8i to scale performance on a Compaq 8-way on Intel architecture.
Now in its 16th year, BrainShare will take place March 26-31, 2000 in Salt Lake City, Utah. More than 7,000 networking professionals and industry media and analysts will be among the first to hear the latest on Novell's Net services software strategy, see new technology demonstrations and have the chance to meet and interact directly with Novell engineers and other technologists. A 51-city traveling road tour in North America showcasing the "Best of BrainShare 2000" will run April 3rd-June 30th. For more information see www.novell.com/events/braintour.
The theme of this year's BrainShare, Novell's premier technical conference, is "bulk your brain." Highlights of this year's conference include end-to-end training and education, over 250 technical sessions on the latest Net services software releases, sessions discussing future directions for Novell product lines, over 80 developer sessions and BrainShare's "Living Legends Hall" - sessions presented throughout the day by BrainShare's popular speakers.
Novell, Inc. (NASDAQ:NOVL), is a leading provider of Net services software that delivers services to secure and power all types of networks the Internet, intranets, and extranets; wired to wireless; corporate and public across leading operating systems. Novell's Net services software provides the foundation for one Net a single global network that supports new applications and forms of business. Net Services software gives IT organizations a way to adapt and accelerate their transformation to eBusiness, simplify the management and control of all networks, create a secure foundation for doing business on the Net, and help deliver a consistent and high-quality experience to end users in all locations. Worldwide channel, consulting, education and technical support programs, along with strategic alliances, combine Novell Net services software with third-party products and services to form complete Net solutions.
For information on Novell's complete range of products and services, contact Novell's Customer Response Center at (888) 321-4CRC (4272), or visit Novell's Web site at http://www.novell.com. Press may access Novell announcements and company information on the World Wide Web at http://www.novell.com/pressroom. In addition, detailed comparisons between Novell products and competitive offerings from other vendors are available on the Web at http://www.novell.com/advantage.
Novell, NetWare and BrainShare are registered trademarks and ConsoleOne, digitalme, instantme and NetWare Cluster Services are trademarks of Novell in the United States and in other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.