Novell Delivers Single Point of Access to Enterprise Applications
Novell, Inc., a leading provider of Net business solutions, today announced the availability of Novell® SecureLogin 3.0, new password management software that significantly reduces administration costs and enhances network security two primary objectives for many businesses today.
- Novell SecureLogin 3.0 helps create a "one Net" experience for users by providing access to virtually all enterprise applications using a single login
- This simplified access saves employees' time and reduces costs associated with lost or forgotten passwords
- SecureLogin is a key component of the Novell Secure Access security suite
Novell, Inc., a leading provider of Net business solutions, today announced the availability of Novell® SecureLogin 3.0, new password management software that significantly reduces administration costs and enhances network security two primary objectives for many businesses today. As a key component of the Novell Secure Access security suite, announced today, SecureLogin 3.0 helps create a "one Net" experience for users by providing access to virtually all enterprise applications using a single login. This simplified, secure access not only saves employees' time, but it also dramatically reduces costs associated with lost or forgotten passwords, which according to the Help Desk Institute, account for nearly 30 percent of all help desk calls.
Password management is one of the most consistent obstacles to productivity organizations encounter, regardless of their size or business. As reported in Giga Information Group's IdeaByte titled "Password Reset Software Can Reduce Help Desk Costs," consider this scenario: "A support organization servicing 20,000 employees receives an average of 3,000 help desk calls each month, 30 percent of which are related to password resets. With each password-reset incident costing $32.50 to $57.50, the company would incur support costs of $351,000 to $621,000 for forgotten password requests each year."
How It Works
With Novell SecureLogin, usernames and passwords are encrypted and hidden in Novell eDirectory, where only the user can access them. To access network resources and applications, a user logs in to eDirectory just once. Thereafter, each time the user launches an application, Novell SecureLogin automatically retrieves the appropriate username and password for the application being launched. This process bolsters network security by eliminating practices such as writing multiple passwords on office notepads or storing them on local files. Novell SecureLogin can also handle situations where an application's password has expired; the software will automatically generate and submit a new password to the application, according to the organization's defined password policy.
Novell SecureLogin 3.0 Features
Novell SecureLogin 3.0 offers users the following advanced features:
- The product offers single sign-on to virtually all Windows* (16 and 32 bit), Web, mainframe/terminal emulator, Citrix* and Telnet applications.
- Usernames and passwords are encrypted and hidden using Novell SecretStore technology, which is a secure container within eDirectory that is accessible only to the user.
- Novell Modular Authentication Service (NMAS) Standard Edition is included with SecureLogin 3.0, supporting advanced authentication methods for data that is too sensitive to guard with a password alone. This supports the following forms of authentication: public/private PKI, eDirectory password authentication, simple password authentication, advanced password authentication and Entrust* X.509 digital certificate authentication. For additional forms of security, such as smart cards or biometric identification, customers can upgrade to NMAS Enterprise Edition.
- SecureLogin 3.0 now supports LDAP connections, both to eDirectory and other LDAP v3-compliant directories. This provides customers an alternative to Novell's Client32 when used with eDirectory and flexibility to work in heterogeneous directory environments.
- The graphical user interface and wizards have been redesigned to improve usability and attractiveness.
- Automated wizards help users automatically set up applications or allow administrators to perform this function for users.
- The product supports connected or disconnected use for remote or mobile users.
- SecureLogin 3.0 offers built-in SNMP monitoring, allowing administrators to track events such as application logins and performance measurements (e.g., how long it takes a user to log into an application).
- Flexible application integration tools allow customization of how Novell SecureLogin 3.0 works with applications. This flexibility allows Novell SecureLogin to manage application passwords even in unique circumstances, such as specialized terminal emulators, legacy DOS applications or applications with multiple login screens.
"Novell is the market leader in host single sign-on technology, based on the strength and flexibility of products like SecureLogin," said Paul Smart, vice president and general manager of Novell's Net Directory business. "By eliminating the management of multiple passwords and granting access to all relevant applications with a single login, SecureLogin is a huge boost to employee productivity and internal security. SecureLogin drives an impressive return on investment by virtually eliminating the time and money wasted on lost or forgotten passwords. This single-login access to all relevant applications is a key proof point of Novell's one Net vision."
Novell's leadership in single sign-on technology is a key component in the strength of the Novell Secure Access security suite. Combining products like SecureLogin, iChain® and BorderManager®, this suite allows companies to efficiently manage and secure access to network resources allowing Web, wireless, dial-up, VPN and client-based users to have a secure, single sign-on experience.
Availability and Pricing
Novell SecureLogin 3.0 is available today for $79 per user MSRP. SecureLogin 3.0 is the upgrade path for both Novell Single Sign-on 2.x and SecureLogin 2.5. The product supports integration with NDS® version 4 and above, including eDirectory 8.x, and other LDAP v3-compliant directories, as well as the NetWare®, Windows* NT/2000, Linux*, Solaris*, Tru64* UNIX* and AIX* operating systems. For more information, go to www.novell.com/products/securelogin.
Novell Secure Access is available today from Novell channel partners and Novell Consultant and System Integrator partners, such as Cap Gemini Ernst& Young, Computer Sciences Corporation, Deloitte& Touche and PricewaterhouseCoopers. It is also available directly from Novell by calling (888) 321-4272. Novell Secure Access is being offered at a promotional price of $159 per user MSRP through June 2002. For more information about Novell Secure Access, go to www.novell.com/products/secureaccess.
Novell, Inc. (NASDAQ: NOVL), is a leader in eBusiness solutions and Net services software designed to secure and power the networked world. Novell and its eServices division, Cambridge Technology Partners, help organizations solve complex business challenges, simplify their systems and processes, and capture new opportunities with one Net solutions. Novell provides worldwide channel, consulting, education and developer programs to support its offerings.
For information on Novell's complete range of products and services, contact Novell's Customer Response Center at (888) 321-4CRC (4272), or visit Novell's Web site at http://www.novell.com. Information on eBusiness and integration solutions from Cambridge Technology Partners can be accessed at http://www.ctp.com. Press may access Novell announcements and company information on the World Wide Web at http://www.novell.com/pressroom.
Novell, NetWare, BorderManager, GroupWise, iChain and NDS are registered trademarks, and Client32, eDirectory, NMAS, Novell SecretStore and Secure Access are trademarks of Novell, Inc. in the United States and other countries. *All third-party trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Ready to talk? Fill out the form below, or call .
* Required Fields