Recently, we announced the nation's fourth-largest optical retailer, National Vision, was standardizing its retail locations on SUSE Linux Enterprise Point of Service to centrally manage 5,000 devices spread across its stores. Today we're announcing the availability of the latest version of the only enterprise-class Linux operating system tailored specifically for the retail industry, SUSE Linux Enterprise Point of Service 11.
With SUSE Linux Enterprise Point of Service 11, retailers can leverage the power of Linux and open source with a reliable, flexible and open platform for point of service/point of sale terminals, kiosks, self-service systems and reverse-vending systems. SUSE Linux Enterprise Point of Service helps retailers accelerate customer checkout, improve the customer experience, work more efficiently with partners, and enhance overall store operations.
Key benefits of SUSE Linux Enterprise Point of Service 11 include:
- Reduced ownership costs with no operating system licensing fees. Retailers pay only for maintenance subscriptions and services. They also receive upgrade protection while their subscription is active so they can move to the latest version at any time.
- Lower operational costs. Retailers can re-purpose old machines for point of sale servers and extend the life of legacy systems.
- Common code with all other products in the SUSE Linux Enterprise Platform. IT staff can work across the entire infrastructure from point of sale terminals to servers and mainframe, consolidating skills and avoiding additional costs for training.
- Freedom from vendor lock-in. SUSE Linux Enterprise Point of Service supports the open standards pervasive in retail environments today. Retailers can access the underlying source code, making it easier to customize their POS systems. Additionally, retailers can use SUSE Linux Enterprise Point of Service on any hardware system while their subscription is active as it is not tied to a specific device.
- A strong ecosystem of hardware, application, consulting, training and support vendors. Technology leaders, such as IBM, NCR, SAP and Oracle, support SUSE Linux Enterprise Point of Service, ensuring world-class retail environments. By integrating Novell partner solutions, retailers can deploy additional store applications such as inventory management, cash management, workforce management and loss prevention.
For more information on SUSE Linux Enterprise Point of Service 11, go here.