GroupWise Technical Specifications
Server Requirements (GroupWise 2014)
Minimum system requirements for installation
- xx86-64 processor
(Note that on a 64-bit processor, GroupWise still runs as a 32-bit application.)
- Any of the following server operating systems for the GroupWise agents (Post Office Agent, Message Transfer Agent, Document Viewer Agent, Internet Agent, Monitor Agent):
- Novell Open Enterprise Server (OES) 11, plus the latest Support Pack
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 11, plus the latest Service Pack
- Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, or Windows Server 2012 R2, plus the latest Service Pack
NOTE: On Linux, the X Window System and Open Motif are required by the GUI GroupWise agent server consoles for the Post Office Agent, the Message Transfer Agent, and the Internet Agent.
By default, the GroupWise agents run as daemons without user interfaces. Starting and stopping the agents when they are running with a user interface is not supported in the GroupWise Administration console.
- Adequate server memory as required by the operating system. Depending on the anticipated load on the GroupWise agents, additional memory might be required. For details, please refer to the product documentation.
- Adequate server disk space as required by each GroupWise component. For details, please refer to the product documentation or the GroupWise Best Practices Wiki.
- One or more of the following directories:
- NetIQ eDirectory 8.8.7 or later, plus the latest Support Pack, with LDAP enabled (optional). You can download eDirectory from the Novell Downloads site.
- Microsoft Active Directory (optional).
- Native GroupWise directory (internal; required).
Web Server and Browser Requirements (GroupWise 2014)
The web server that is supported for your operating system, for use with the GroupWise Administration console, the agent consoles, WebAccess, Monitor, and the Calendar Publishing Host:
- x86-64 or x86-32 processor
- OES 11 / SLES 11
- Apache 2.2 plus:
- Tomcat 6
- IBM Java 6 Runtime Environment (JRE)
- ModProxy Module
A Linux repository should be available when you run the GroupWise Installation Wizard. Apache, Tomcat, the JRE, and the ModProxy Module are automatically installed from the Linux repository if they are not already present on the Linux server.
If no Linux repository is available during the GroupWise installation, you are prompted to manually install these required components from the Linux media, and then restart the GroupWise installation.
- Windows Server 2008 R2 / Windows Server 2012
- Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) 7 or later plus:
- Tomcat 6
- IBM Java 6 Runtime Environment (JRE)
- Jakarta Connector 1.2
Tomcat 6.0.24, IBM JRE 6 Update 26, and Jakarta Connector 1.2 are automatically installed along with the GroupWise software if they are not already present on the Windows server.
- Supported web browsers for the GroupWise Administration console and agent consoles include:
- Linux: Mozilla Firefox
- Windows: Microsoft Internet Explorer 10 or later; Mozilla Firefox
- Macintosh: Mozilla Firefox
GroupWise Client User Requirements (GroupWise 2014)
GroupWise Windows client workstation requirements
x86-32 processor or x86-64 processor
On a 64-bit processor, GroupWise still runs as a 32-bit application.
- Any of the following desktop operating systems for the GroupWise Windows client:
- Windows XP on a 300 MHz or higher workstation with at least 128 MB of RAM
- Windows 7 on a 1 GHz or higher workstation with at least 1 GB of RAM
- Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 on a 1 GHz or higher workstation with at least 1 GB of RAM
NOTE: Windows 8 or later on a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet is not supported for use with the GroupWise client. Use GroupWise WebAccess instead.
- Any of the following word processors for use as the GroupWise editor:
- OpenOffice 3.4 or later
- LibreOffice 3.6 or later
- Microsoft Office 2007 or later
- Approximately 200 MB of free disk space on each user’s workstation to install the Windows client
IMPORTANT: The Mac and Linux clients available in GroupWise 8 can also be used with a GroupWise 2014 back end. Here are technical specifications for these clients.
GroupWise WebAccess User Requirements (GroupWise 2014)
Any of the following web browsers:
- Linux: Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome
- Windows: Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 or later; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome
NOTE:On Windows XP only, Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0 is supported.
- Macintosh: The latest version of Safari for your version of Mac OS; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome
Microsoft Surface Pro tablet, with Windows 8 or later
Any mobile device that supports Wireless Access Protocol (WAP) and has a microbrowser that supports Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) 4.0 or later
Novell GroupWise Mobility Service 2.0
- Hardware requirements for the Synchronizer server:
- x86-64 processor
- 2.2 GHz processor; multi-processor system recommended
- Static IP address
- Adequate server memory depending on the number of devices supported by the Mobility server
- 4 GB RAM to support approximately 300 devices
- 8 GB RAM to support up to the maximum of 750 users with as many as 1000 devices
- 45 MB of disk space for the Mobility Service software
- 200 GB of disk space recommended for data storage during system operation
Data storage disk space varies widely depending on the amount of data being synchronized, the number of devices participating in synchronization, the logging level for Mobility Service log files, and other variables specific to your Mobility system implementation.
The largest consumers of disk space are the Mobility database (/var/lib/pgsql) and Mobility Service log files (/var/log/datasync). You might want to configure the Mobility server so that /var is on a separate partition to allow for convenient expansion.
Another large consumer of disk space is attachment storage in the /var/lib/datasync/syncengine/attachments directory.
NOTE: The 200 GB recommendation is appropriate for a Mobility server with a heavy load supporting as many as 750 users with as many as 1000 devices. A Mobility server supporting substantially fewer devices requires substantially less disk space.
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 11 (64-bit), plus Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3
If PostgreSQL is not already installed on the Mobility server, the Mobility Service Installation program installs it for you.
- Time synchronization among servers
For the most reliable synchronization of time-sensitive items, such as appointments, the Mobility server and GroupWise servers should have their time synchronized as closely as possible. This is especially important on virtual machines.