How to upgrade Netware 5.1 with Novell eDirectory 8.7 to Netware 6
(Last modified: 07Jul2003)
This document (10078656) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
How to upgrade Netware 5.1 with Novell eDirectory 8.7 to Netware 6.0 Support Pack 2
Novell eDirectory 8.7 for NetWare 5.1
Novell NetWare 6.0 Support Pack 2
NDS Error: -663
Netware 6.0 Support Pack 2 upgrade stops at the DNS configuration screen
DS.NLM can not be loaded
The upgrade process is loading a 8.6 version of DSLOADER.NLM. The 8.7 version of DS.NLM is incompatible with this version of DSLOADER.NLM.
Before starting the upgrade, follow this procedure to force the upgrade process to use a 8.7 version of DSLOADER.NLM:
1. At the Netware console, type NETBASIC.
2. At the Netware console, type SHELL.
3. Type <Alt> + <Esc> and switch to the NetBasic Interactive Shell
4. Create a C:\NWUPDATE directory by typing MD C:\NWUPDATE
5. Copy the 8.7 DSLOADER.NLM into this directory by typing COPY C:\NWSERVER\DSLOADER.NLM C:\NWUPDATE\DSLOADER.NLM
6. Insert the Netware 6 SP2 Overlay CD and proceed with the upgrade process
7. When asked if you want to overwrite target files which are newer, make sure to choose 'Do not overwrite'
8. Once the upgrade is completed, delete the DSLOADER.NLM file by typing DEL C:\NWUPDATE\DSLOADER.NLM and the NWUPDATE directory by typing RD C:\NWUPDATE.
Note: You will encounter a fatal error during the LDAP configuration portion of the upgrade. LDAP Services will continue to work correctly. However, the apache and tomcat configuration will not be completed. These modules will not load when the server first starts up. In order to reinstall Apache and Tomcat (and other web services like iManager, iFolder, etc) please see NOVL69810 - Reinstalling Apache and Tomcat
This issue has been fixed in Novell NetWare 6.0 Support Pack 3.
The Origin of this information may be internal or external to Novell. Novell makes all reasonable efforts to verify this information. However, the information provided in this document is for your information only. Novell makes no explicit or implied claims to the validity of this information.
Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark information.
- Document ID:
- Solution ID: NOVL85767
- Creation Date: 10Jan2003
- Modified Date: 07Jul2003
Did this document solve your problem? Provide Feedback