Getting the SLES 10 / SLED 10 Software Updater to work if you use a Proxy Server
This document (3132246) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10
A proxy server is required or used to have access to the Internet
Curl error 35
Curl error 28
Installing SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 or installing SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10.
A proxy server exists in the network environment and needs to be used to access the Internet.
Prompted to activate the product
During the installation, a prompt is provided to activate a registration in order to receive notification of patches and updated packages, but an attempt to perform registration at this point fails with the error message listed above.
Configuring an installed system with Novell Customer Center (NCC), Yast2 | Software | Novell Customer Center configuration, where a direct connection to the Internet exists, works correctly while the same process fails where a Proxy Server is required for Internet access.
SLE 10 Service Pack 1
- Configure the proxy settings through YaST2 | Network Services | Proxy.
- Configure the proxy settings for Firefox (or default browser) Firefox | Edit | Preferences | Advanced | Network | Connections - Settings. Select "Auto-detect proxy settings for this network."
- Add pertinent proxy information to /etc/zmd/zmd.conf
- rug set proxy-url http:// <proxy_server_info>
- rug set proxy-username johndoe
- rug set proxy-password password
- Restart the machine to allow proxy services to be detected.
- Run Yast2 | Software | Novell Customer Center configuration to complete the setup of the NCC.
If circumstances prevent you from using SLE 10 SP1 media for your installation, the following steps can be used to use the proxy for software updates with SLE 10 GA:
- Right-click on the software updater icon in the task bar (the globe icon)
- Select Configure
- Select the Preferences tab
- Options for the Software Updater will be visible including those related to proxy information. The proxy-url field needs to be populated and in some in cases two other fields proxy-username and proxy-password also need to be populated.proxy-url - The URL for the proxy Server.
proxy-username - The username for the proxy if required
proxy-password - The password for the proxy if required
- Open up a terminal and switch user ( su) to root
- Therug command is used to set up the proxy information for the software updater. Enter the following commands at the prompt:
- rug set-prefs proxy-url http://<proxy_server_info>
- rug set-prefs proxy-username johndoe
- rug set-prefs proxy-password password
- Verify that the proxy information settings for the software updater have been picked up properly by checking the preferences on the software updater (steps 1 through 3). The proxy-url andproxy-username should list the values entered above (step 5). The proxy-passwordvalue will not be visible. It is recorded in the file/etc/zmd/zmd.conf.
- Now the proxy settings for use by the web browser need to be made. Run Yast2 | Network Services | Proxy, flag Enable Proxy, put in the HTTP Proxy URL and Finish.
- To activate the changed proxy setting for the web browser, log out and log in again.
- RunYast2 | Software | Novell Customer Center configurationto complete the setup of the NCC.
The Novell Customer Center (NCC) provides a single location to manage products, subscriptions, and installed system(s). When configuring an installed system for the Novell Customer Center (NCC), Yast2 | Software | Novell Customer Center configuration, an Internet based installation source will be added to the software updater. This allows all product updates to be received through the software updater. Configuring an installed system that has a direct connection to the Internet works correctly. If there is a proxy server required in the network environment, then the configuration process fails as the proxy server information is not setup. The proxy server information has to be pre-configured before the NCC configuration is executed, both for the software updater and for the web browser that is used during the NCC configuration.
To clear the proxy server values that are set using the above process complete the following steps:
- Open up a terminal and switch user (su) to root. Enter the following commands at the prompt:
- rug set-prefs proxy-url
- rug set-prefs proxy-username
- rug set-prefs proxy-password
- Run Yast2 | Network Settings | Proxy, unflag Enable Proxy andFinish.
- Log out and log in again.
Now the proxy settings for the browser are cleared as well.
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for NetIQ/Novell/SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:3132246
- Creation Date:28-MAR-07
- Modified Date:10-JUN-13
- SUSESUSE Linux Enterprise DesktopSUSE Linux Enterprise Server
Did this document solve your problem? Provide Feedback