Error 503 returned by applications that use Tomcat (e.g. NetStorage, iManager)
This document (3377845) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
Error 503 when attempting to start iManager
The NetStorage page is accessible and users can authenticate and view files. However, some functions such as uploading files, downloading files, and rights control (under properties) do not work.
First, check if Tomcat is runningby typing "java -show" at the console. This command will return the applications using Java. If Tomcat is running, an entry with the word "catalina" (i.e., org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap) will be visible in the results. There should be two entries if the admin interface is running as well.
If Tomcat is not started type "tomcat4" at the console, or "tomcat5" if you are running iManager 2.7; then view the logger screen. The logger screen should show the reason for Tomcat not starting successfully if there are problems. If there are no errors, watch for a line that indicates that Tomcat is listening on a port (e.g. 0.0.0.0:9010).
Now that Tomcat is up, open a browser and access NetStorage or iManager again. Test the functions that weren't working before to ensure that they work now.
- Reload nldap.nlm by entering "unload nldap" at the console
followed by "nldap".
- Type "java -exit" at the console. This will exit all java applications. Once the console prompt returns, type "java -exit" again to bring Java back up.
- When Java is back up, type "tckeygen" and hit enter. This will import the certificates into the keystore.
- Switch to the logger screen and make sure that the certificates were imported successfully. If they weren't, resolve the problem before continuing.
- At the console, start Tomcat by typing "tomcat4" and then hitting enter.
- Switch back to the logger screen and watch for a line that indicates that Tomcat is listening on port 9010 (0.0.0.0:9010).
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for NetIQ/Novell/SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:3377845
- Creation Date:20-JUL-07
- Modified Date:26-APR-12
Did this document solve your problem? Provide Feedback