namcd cannot connect to LDAP server
This document (3401691) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
Novell Open Enterprise Server 1 (OES 1) Support Pack 1 Linux
Novell Open Enterprise Server 1 (OES 1) Support Pack 2 Linux
Novell Open Enterprise Server 2 (OES 2) Linux
Novell Open Enterprise Server 2 (OES 2) Support Pack 1 Linux
Sep 10 11:12:13 server1 /usr/sbin/namcd: ldap_initconn: LDAP bind failed, trying to connect to alternative LDAP server
Sep 10 11:12:13 server1 /usr/sbin/namcd: ldap_initconn: Unable to bind to alternative LDAP servers either.
Dec 7 15:31:12 server1 /usr/sbin/namcd: ldap_initconn: LDAP bind failed (error = ), trying to connect to alternative LDAP server
Dec 7 15:31:12 server1 /usr/sbin/namcd: nam_ldap_init(): retrieval of trusted root cert failed. Make sure you have LDAP server certificate in /var/lib/novell-lum directory.
Dec 7 15:31:12 server1 /usr/sbin/namcd: nss_ldap_init: Unable to get LDAP handle.
Dec 7 15:31:12 server1 /usr/sbin/namcd: ldap_initconn: Unable to bind to alternative LDAP servers either, error .
- Check in the /etc/nam.conf and verify that the preferred-server is pointing to the correct server. In this example the IP address is 10.10.10.10. If the IP address in the nam.conf file is incorrect, you need to change this to the correct IP address.
With the following command, check if a connection to the ldap server can be established:
/opt/novell/eDirectory/bin/ldapsearch -D CN=admin,o=novell -w novell -h 10.10.10.10 -p 636 -e /etc/opt/novell/certs/SSCert.der -b "" -s base
- If this fails, follow the steps from TID 7007106 to properly configure ldaptrace.
Then restart LDAP and see if there are any errors reported during it's startup.
Note: If the server's certificates have been repaired/renewed recently, they will not be used by ldap until ldap has been restarted.
- If this succeeds, ldap is working properly and the certificate for namcd should be re-imported from ldap.
- Go into the /var/nam directory. In this directory, you should find a file called .10.10.10.10.der
(On previous versions of novell-lum the directory is /var/lib/novell-lum)
- Create a backup copy using: mv .10.10.10.10.der .10.10.10.10.der.bak
- Using namconfig -k, a new .10.10.10.10.der will be created
For Open Enterprise Server 2 the ldapsearch tool can be found in /opt/novell/eDirectory/bin
+ Open Enterprise Server 2 SP1 Migration Strategies
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for NetIQ/Novell/SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:3401691
- Creation Date:25-MAR-08
- Modified Date:29-JUL-14
- NovellOpen Enterprise Server
Did this document solve your problem? Provide Feedback