How to install Flash Player 9 on SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10
This document (3803297) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
While it is strongly suggested that an upgrade to SLED 10 SP2 (either via the software updater or using downloaded SLED 10 SP2 media) be performed, this information is provided in the event that a timely update to SP2 is not possible.
- On the SLED 10 machine, using Firefox go to: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash and click on the pulldown box and select ".rpm for Linux" link and press the "Agree and install now" button after reviewing the Software License.
- When the download dialog box appears, click the "Open with zen-installer (default)" radio button and select OK.
- Enter root's password when prompted
- Click "Install" when the Software Installer Window appears
- Open a terminal window and type su to login as root
- Rename the old flash plugin from /usr/lib/browser-plugins/libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/browser-plugins/libflashplayer.v7
mv /usr/lib/browser-plugins/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/browser-plugins/libflashplayer.v7
- Copy the new libflashplayer.so from the firefox plugins directory to the SLED browser plugins directory
cp /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/browser-plugins/
- Make sure that the file has the group and user both set to root
chown root.root libflashplayer.so
chmod 755 libflashplayer.so
- Close down all of the firefox windows that are currenlty open and then launch a new firefox window.
- In the URL section type about:plugins and you should now see that it says Flash Player 9.0 rather than 7.x.
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for NetIQ/Novell/SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:3803297
- Creation Date:17-JAN-07
- Modified Date:26-APR-12
- SUSESUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop
Did this document solve your problem? Provide Feedback