Prior to Netware 6.5, NMASMON.NLM has been the standard tool
to capture NMAS trace traffic at the server. With the move towards
eDirectory running on non-NetWare platforms where NMASMON is not
available, we need to use the universal monitoring tool: NDS
The following are steps on how to capture an NMAS trace
using iMonitor, DSTRACE.NLM and NMASMON.NLM.NDS iMonitor
1. Launch NDS iMonitor on the NMAS server by
going to http: //ip_address:port/nds
2. Select the Trace Configuration hyperlink or the icon
at the top of the screen with the lightening bolt.
3. Under DS Trace Options, remove all selections.
4. In the bottom section, select the NMAS trace
5. Select the Trace On button.
6. Click the Refresh Button on your Browser and you
should see a Trace Live link on the left.
7. By default the trace will not refresh automatically.
Select the Refresh On button to turn on the auto refresh
8. Once the trace traffic has been captured, go back to
the Trace Configuration link and select the Trace Off button.
9. You can view the trace file by going to the Trace
History hyperlink or you can find the trace HTM file located in the
1. On the NetWare server console, type
2. Type DSTRACE.NLM again and you'll get a list of all
options. Hit a key.
3. Type DSTRACE -ALL +NMAS and enter.
4. Type DSTRACE SCREEN ON FILE ON and
5. The screen should look like the following
6. Switch to the DSTrace Console screen and watch the
7. Once the traffic has been captured, type DSTRACE
SCREEN OFF FILE OFF.
8. The location of the file is
NMASMON.NLM (use only for NetWare 6.0)
1. At the server console type NMASMON * SYS:\nmas.txt
trunc (You can specify whatever file you want. nmas.txt is used in
2. You'll get a screen that looks like the
3. Once the trace traffic
has been captured, UNLOAD NMASMON.
4. Retrieve the TXT file specified in step 2.
NOTE: NMASMON.NLM is the old way of tracing NMAS
traffic. NMASMON should only be used for NetWare 6.0 servers
where DSTRACE can't be used. If NMASMON.NLM does not exist on a
server, you can copy it from a different server if desired.
To capture a NMAS Client trace see "How to capture a NMAS Client trace - TID
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for NetIQ/Novell/SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.