Message Conversion Slow for Outbound GWIA
This document (7000586) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
Novell GroupWise 8
1. A large number of messages are being sent outbound through the use of client side rules (forwarding all messages to an internet account). This can be compounded when multiple users are performing this action.
2. The flat-forward switch/setting is enabled at the GWIA.
3. The messages that are being forwarded are sent to large internal distribution lists.
When the three criteria are met, a large burden is placed on the GWIA to convert the message into MIME format. The message must be stripped of any sign of having been forwarded, through the use of the flat forward switch. The GWIA must also enumerate all members of the distribution list to whom a message has been sent. The GWIA must do this in order for a "reply-to-all" to be delivered to all the recipients when the Internet recipient has received the message.
Two things that can help alleviate the slowness in converting the messages are:
1) When sending to large distribution lists internally, place the distribution list as a blind copy (BC) recipient.
2) Enable the setting "Retain distribution lists on outgoing messages" in the properties of the GWIA object in ConsoleeOne. (GWIA Properties -> SMTP/MIME -> Address Handling). This setting tells the GWIA not to enumerate all users and use the name of the distribution list name as the reply address.
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for NetIQ/Novell/SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:7000586
- Creation Date:25-FEB-09
- Modified Date:27-APR-12
Did this document solve your problem? Provide Feedback