GWIA Error: "450 host down" when sending mail
This document (7002712) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
Novell GroupWise 8
Novell GroupWise Internet Agent (GWIA) 8
Server with multiple NICs. Set Bind Exclusive on the Internet agents IP address:
- Go to Properties of GWIA in ConsoleOne
- Go to GroupWise Tab drop down and choose Network address.
- Insure the correct IP address is entered in address Field
- Click aerial button for Bind Exclusive
Wrong route set in server Default route.
- For NetWare this is found in TCPCON (load Tcpcon from the server console)
- Choose IP Routing Table
- Proceed to set or change settings
- Correct DNS servers IP address information and restart GWIA.
- This can be done in the RESOLV.CFG file for Netware by manually editing
- This can also be done by loading Inetcfg | going to protocols | TCP IP | DNS resolvers
The GWIA receives the out bound message and goes to DNS to resolve. It then tries to connect to the host and send the message.
A 450 error is seen when GWIA cannot make a connection to either the DNS server or the IP address of the host where the mail is needing to be sent.
A 450 error will result in mail being moved to the GWIA / deferred folder and tried later.
In the case of the DNS server issue or the default route issue above GWIA logs will show every out bound email resulting in a 450 host down.
For a single or Random 450 Host down error the issue is usually that the recipient host is not able to receive GWIAs attempt to connect and send mail. The mail will be deferred for later delivery.
Formerly known as TID# 10026766
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for NetIQ/Novell/SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:7002712
- Creation Date:20-FEB-09
- Modified Date:26-APR-12
Did this document solve your problem? Provide Feedback