Unable to start postgres service
This document (7007242) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
- Edit /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf .
- Change "silent_mode = on " to "silent_mode = off ". This would provide more information as to why is it failing
- Start postgresql by typing "rcpostgresql start " and press Enter
- Check if the following error is received. If yes, please follow the steps listed below the error
2010-11-22 19:15:45 MST WARNING: could not create listen socket for "localhost"
2010-11-22 19:15:45 MST FATAL: could not create any TCP/IP sockets
- Edit /etc/hosts
- Make sure the following line exists at the very top. If not add it before other statements.
- Edit /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf
- Make sure the following lines exist in the file. The following lines are from a DataSync server. Some lines may differ if this is not a DataSync server.
local all postgres ident sameuser
host all postgres 127.0.0.1/32 ident sameuser
host all postgres ::1/128 ident sameuser
local datasync all md5
host datasync all 127.0.0.1/32 md5
host datasync all ::1/128 md5
local postgres datasync_user md5
host postgres datasync_user 127.0.0.1/32 md5
host postgres datasync_user ::1/128 md5
local mobility all md5
host mobility all 127.0.0.1/32 md5
host mobility all ::1/128 md5
- Restart the server.
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for NetIQ/Novell/SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:7007242
- Creation Date:22-NOV-10
- Modified Date:10-DEC-13
- NovellData SynchronizerGroupWise
- SUSESUSE Linux Enterprise Server
Did this document solve your problem? Provide Feedback