Unable to remote control devices by DNS address
This document (7007315) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
Novell ZENworks 11 Configuration Management Remote Management
- Error: Failed to connect to server <device name>
- When remote controlling a device, the wrong domain name is appended to the workstation name; e.g.
- The correct machine name is winbox.northregion.digitalairlines.com
- When remote controlling the device, digitalairlines.com is appended, incorrectly forming winbox.digitalairlines.com
- ZCC > Devices > Workstations > select workstation named winbox> Action > Remote Control gives error Failed to connect to server winbox.digitalairlines.com
From the Remote Control dialogue (ZCC > Devices > Workstations > select workstation named winbox> Action > Remote Control) use the IP address from the Device drop-down.
At the workstation, ipconfig /all showed that the workstation name was winbox.digitalairlines.com:
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : winbox
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : digitalairlines.com
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : digitalairlines.com
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.150.15.56
nslookup showed that the workstation name was winbox.northregion.digitalairlines.com:
One possible cause might be an inconsistently configured Dynamic DNS (DDNS).
ZCM Remote Control uses the address it has stored in its database, which is what the workstation actually had when it last checked-in and not necessarily what DNS says it has. This can be verified by browsing the ZCM database directly. See TID7001842 - http://www.novell.com/support/search.do?searchString=7001842 - for further details.
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for NetIQ/Novell/SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:7007315
- Creation Date:06-DEC-10
- Modified Date:27-APR-12
- NovellZENworks Configuration Management
Did this document solve your problem? Provide Feedback