How to make sure the latest supportutils are installed.
This document (7010476) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11
Novell Open Enterprise Server 2 (OES 2) Linux
Novell Open Enterprise Server 11 (OES 11) Linux
Micro Focus Open Enterprise Server 2015 (OES 2015) Linux
Novell Open Workgroup Suite (NOWS)
Novell Open Workgroup Suite Small Business Edition (NOWS SBE) 2.5
For auditing or health check purposes or just to maintain a server history, a supportconfig from all SUSE Linux based machines is required.
RepositoriesThe rpms required for updating and installing the latest supportutils and it's plugins are also available via openSUSE repositories.
- For machines that have direct access to the internet, the above mentioned can be added as a local repository.
- For servers that are managed centrally, these repositories can be used by the central update server.
After the repositories have been added, the latest supportutils and it's plugins are available as available packages or updates (not patches) and can be installed or upgraded in a normal manner.
However, to make sure they are up to date, preceed generating a supportconfig for Micro Focus Custromer Care with a updateSupportutils.
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 and SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 both ship with the supportutils as part of their distribution, therfor they do not require an additional repository. Updating the system will update the supportutils when an update is made available ofer the update channels.
To install or update the latest supportutils outside any of the configured update mechanisms for the server, there are 2 options :
Option A (automated)
- Download the supportutils-plugin-updater from the noarch folder of the repository as required for the distribution.
- Login as 'root'
- Install the supportutils-plugin-updater package:
# rpm -Uvh supportutils-plugin-updater-*.noarch.rpm
- Run updateSupportutils as 'root'
Option B (Manual)
- Manually download the supportutils and any applicable supportutils plugin packages from the repository as required for the distribution.
- Copy the set of rpms to the server.
- Login as 'root
- Install the supportutils-*.noarch.rpm
# rpm -Uvh supportutils-*.noarch.rpm
- Install the supportutils-plugin-*.norarch.rpm packages that apply.
# rpm -Uvh supportutils-plugin-*.norarch.rpm
Once the latest version is installed, please run the supportconfig and provide it as requested by the Technical Services representative.
Once new features are introduced to the Novell Open Enterprise Server and Micro Focus Open Enterprise Server products over time, so will the diagnostic information gathering for the supportutils be updated to accommodate gathering troubleshooting details for these new features.
Because the supportutils are required to change or be updated when required, this is kept outside of the regular update channels.
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for NetIQ/Novell/SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:7010476
- Creation Date:18-JUL-12
- Modified Date:11-DEC-17
- NovellOpen Enterprise Server
- SUSESUSE Linux Enterprise Server
Did this document solve your problem? Provide Feedback