Email notifications are enabled, but not being sent as expected. It is necessary to test SMTP functionality from the PlateSpin server.
The following steps can be used to test the SMTP connection from the PlateSpin server directly and to test the SMTP settings used.
1. Open a Command Prompt.
2. Telnet to the SMTP server using the following command:
telnet <SMPT address used in Protect> <SMTP Port used in Protect>
3. Run the following command:
ehlo <same SMTP address used in Protect>
The expected response is:
250-<SMTP server name> Hello <Server Name> [IP], pleased to meet you
Followed by any number of options such as the following:
The following steps are used if SMTP Authentication is required:
4. Run the following command:
5. The server will respond with a request for encrypted credentials. A third-party tool is required to encrypt the username and password with Base 64. Once encrypted, paste the username in response to the request, then the password in response to the next request.
6. Continue by running the following commands:
mail from: <"Reply Address" used in Protect>
rcpt to: <Recipient address used in Protect>
This is a test of the SMTP connection from Platespin Protect.
An email should be received by the recipient email address, if SMTP is functioning as expected
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for NetIQ/Novell/SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.