How to change the IP address of the iPrint Appliance
This document (7013382) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
1. Load a new virtual iPrint Appliance server with the new IP address (and possibly new DNS)
The following steps are simplified if the DNS name does not need to change.2. Complete the new installation, including the initial configuration performed after logging into the Management Console (https://<IPorDNS>:9443).
3. Copy the iPrint Configuration from the original server to the new server by typing the following commands at a terminal session (putty or otherwise):
- scp -Cr <IPofOriginalAppliance>:/var/opt/novell/iprint/resdir/* /var/opt/novell/iprint/resdir/
- provide the root password
- chown -R iprint.iprint /var/opt/novell/iprint/resdir
- rcnovell-idsd restart
- scp <IPofOriginalAppliance>:/var/opt/novell/iprint/print_manager.iPrintAppliance.psm/padbtxt.xml /tmp/padbtxt.xml
- rcnovell-ipsmd stop
- /opt/novell/iprint/bin/ipsmd -x /tmp/padbtxt.xml -u cn=admin,o=iPrintAppliance
- provide the iPrint Appliance admin eDirectory password
- Wait for the printer configuration information to import. This should take about 10 seconds per 100 printer agents.
- rcnovell-ipsmd start
- Mobile Configuration
- LDAP Import
If only the IP address changed, the above steps are sufficient.
Continue with the following steps if the DNS name to which the print manager is bound changed AND printers are installed to desktops:
- Compare the addresses to which the two print managers are bound:
- Type this command on both the original and new iPrint Appliance:
- find /etc/opt/novell/iprint/conf/ipsmd.conf -type f | xargs grep -i "PSMHostAddress"
- Are the addresses which follow PSMHostAddress different?
- If yes, decide if you want the two to stay different.
- If you decide you want the two address to stay different, then
- configure DNS to resolve the original address to the new IP address.
- This will cause each workstation to auto uninstall and auto reinstall the printers to the workstations.
- If you would like that reinstall to be silent to the end user, change the InformUserOfUpdates to 0 within the /var/opt/novell/iprint/htdocs/iprint.ini
- If you decide you want the original DNS to apply to the new print manager, then
- Update DNS to resolve the original name to the new IP address.
- Using ping, verify the original DNS name resolves to the new IP address.
- Update the ipsmd.conf's PSMHostAddress to use the original DNS.
- Restart the Print Manager
- rcnovell-ipsmd restart
There are likely methods to change the IP address of the iPrint Appliance. However, the above listed method has been shown to work in the customer environments which this has been implemented.
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for NetIQ/Novell/SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:7013382
- Creation Date:27-SEP-13
- Modified Date:25-OCT-13
Did this document solve your problem? Provide Feedback