This quick tip will provide you the GroupWise administrator with a few of what I find to be the most often used Linux commands. This list is by no means complete nor comprehensive. It’s just the ones I have found myself using daily. I hope it provides you with some assistance as you move toward GroupWise 2014.
- cd /directory
Make/Remove a Directory:
List/Look at what is in a directory:
- ls /location
- ls /tmp
- ls – -help
Provides a ton of options for listing files/directories
Find/Kill a Process:
- ps -eaf | grep [process name ie: ConsoleOne]
- kill -9 [pid]
- netstat -tnlp
Copy Files from one Linux Server to another:
- scp -r /source directory root@server(IP Address):/target directory
Test Disk Performance on Linux:
- hdparm -t /dev/sdb –for disk
- hdparm -t /dev/sdb1 –for partition
What version of code am I running:
- rpm -qa | grep groupwise
- rpm -e [novell-groupwise-gwia.8.0.3] -removes the rpm from the system.
UnTAR a file:
- tar -xzf filename
- tar -xzf gw12.0.2_full_linux_en.tar.gz
Install/Upgrade/run and RPM:
- rpm -ivh filename
- rpm -ivh novell-groupwise-dbcopy-12.0.2
- rpm -Uvh filename
- rpm -Uvh novell-groupwise-dbcopy-12.0.2
Mount Windows Disk/Volume with CIFS:
- Example: mount -t cifs //IP Address of Windows Server/Share(or D$) /mnt/wingw -o username=Admin,password=pwd,domain=Demo
- mount -t cifs //192.168.1.20/D$ /mnt/wingw -o username=Administrator,password=novell,domain=Demo
- If the server is not part of a Domain, you can leave off the domain= part.
- If you have a share for the D$, that will work as well but make sure to spell it with the correct case.
Start|Stop|Status|Restart GroupWise on Linux:
This will perform the command for all agents/services running on the server.
- rcgrpwise start
- rcgrpwise status
- rcgrpwise restart
- rcgrpwise stop
This will perform the command for a specific agent/service running on the server.
- rcgrpwise stop po.podom :This will stop the po post office.
- rcgrpwise start po.podom :This will start the po post office.
- rcgrpwise stop gwia.gatedom :This will stop the gwia under the gatedom domain.
- rcgrpwise start gwia.gatedom :This will start the gwia under the gatedom domain.
- rcgrpwise stop podom :This will stop the podom domain.
- rcgrpwise start podom :This will start the podom domain.
Load an Agent with the Agent Interface:
- cd /opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin :Changes to the location of the agent executables.
- ./gwmta – -show @mtaconfig.cfg :Load a domain MTA with the Agent Interface.
- ./gwpoa – -show @poaconfig.cfg :Load a post office POA with the Agent Interface.
- ./gwia – -show @gwiaconfig.cfg : Load a gwia agent with the Agent Interface.
- rcgrpwise-ma start
- rcgrpwise-ma stop
- rcgrpwise-ma status
- rcgrpwise-ma restart
- /etc/init.d/ndsd start
- /etc/init.d/ndsd stop
- /etc/init.d/ndsd status
- /etc/init.d/ndsd restart
Shutdown Linux Server:
- shutdown – -help :Lists various options.
- shutdown -r now :Reboot after shutdown, now. No time delay.
- shutdown -h now :Immediate Shutdown now. No time delay.
- shutdown -c :Cancels running shutdown.
- netstat :Shows what ports are open among other things.
- netstat – -help :Provides list of netstat commands
- ifconfig :Shows what server IP address, Mask, Default Gateway, etc.
- ifconfig – -help : Provides list of ifconfig commands
GroupWise on Linux Paths:
- Executables: /opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin
- Startup Files: /opt/novell/groupwise/agents/share
In a cluster: /media/nss/GWVOL/groupwise/agents/share
- Configuration Files: /var/opt/novell/groupwise
- PID Files: /var/run/novell/groupwise
- Master Script: /etc/init.d/grpwise
- Master Configuration File: /etc/opt/novell/groupwise/gwha.conf
- Log Files: /var/log/novell/groupwise
In a cluster: /media/nss/GWVOL/groupwise/agents/logs
- GroupWise SDD (default): /opt/novell/software
In a cluster: /media/nss/GWVOL/software
- ConsoleOne Executable: /usr/ConsoleOne/bin/ConsoleOne
- WebAccess Application Files: /var/opt/novell/groupwise/webaccess/ *.*
- GWIA Configuration File: /opt/novell/groupwise/agents/share/gwia.cfg
In a cluster: /media/nss/GWVOL/groupwise/agents/share/gwia.cfg
- GWMonitor Configuration Files:
- Calendar Publishing Host Files: /var/opt/novell/groupwise/calhost/calhost.cfg
LDAP Cert. File: /var/opt/novell/tomcat5/webapps/gwcal/WEB-INF/classes/certfilename.der
Marketing Moment: If you are new to Linux and need to move from NetWare, please drop me a line, I can make it painless and you will get the training you need to be successful.
Got comments or article ideas? Need GroupWise help? Drop me a line at: Gregg@HinchmanConsulting.com. “The Force is strong in this one.”