Creating your own custom Bootsplash for the ZENnworks 7 sp1 Imaging initrd.
Here’s an easy way to create your own custom Bootsplash background for your ZENworks imaging. This is for HP6. Previous versions can be added with the instructions by Axel Friedemann.
When modifying the initrd for your ZENworks imaging, it removes the nice fancy bootsplash screen. Here are the steps to get it back, or create your own custom bootsplash.
1. On your SLES or SLED 10sp1 box, create the directories to hold the bootsplash files:
2. In the bootloader folder, copy all the .hlp and .tr files as well as the MESSAGE file from the /boot/i386/loader folder in the Zen71 boot CD
3. In the config folder, create a text file called bootsplash-800×600.cfg and put in the following:
# This is a bootsplash configuration file for
# Zenworks Imaging, resolution 800×600.
# See www.bootsplash.org for more information.
trigger “isdown” quit
trigger “rlreached 5″ toverbose
trigger “rlchange 0″ tosilent
trigger “rlchange 6″ tosilent
box silent noover 293 270 506 270 #ffffff10
box silent inter 293 269 293 271 #ffffff80
box silent 293 269 506 271 #ffffff80
5. In the images folder, put in your custom 800×600 jpeg image and title it silent-800×600.jpg. If you want to just use the one that comes with the Zenworks Imaging, then copy the welcome.jpg from the /boot/i386/loader folder in the Zen71 boot CD and rename it.
6. Create a black background and call it bootsplash-800×600.jpg. This will appear when you hit ESC during the boot up to watch the console. If you don’t want to create one, use can use the one from /etc/bootsplash/themes/SuSE-NLD/images/
7. After you have those files in place you will need to create the bootsplash file. This will create the bootsplash file.
#splash -s -c -f /etc/bootsplash/themes/Zen/config/bootsplash-800×600.cfg > bootsplash
8. Zip up the bootsplash file to add to the initrd.
#gzip -v9c bootsplash > 08000600.spl
9. Now move the initrd that you have modified and lost the boot splash screen into the same folder and put the bootsplash into the initrd.
#cat 08000600.spl >> initrd
Put the new initrd in the ISO of the Zen71 bootcd, or on your Zen71USB and it will have your new splash screen on boot up.